PFUKR250 - "A Dove has Spread Her Wings"

benny_profane

This is my contribution to the Pedals for Ukraine 250/Dist+ Reverb sale. It's built to '79 grey box 250 specs on an Effects Layouts' DRIVESTORTION board storyboardist generously provided. The only deviation from the stock circuit is that the clipping diodes are 2x1 asymmetrical 1n4148. With the 250 and the Rat, I prefer asymmetrical clipping since it adds a bit more harmonic texture to simple circuits without a lot of tone shaping. You either know what this one sounds like or have a 250/Dist+ build in your future.

The artwork was painted by my partner and takes inspiration from Maria Prymachenko's “A Dove has Spread Her Wings and Asks for Peace”, which has become a global symbol of peace during the conflict.

Check it.

XwT2aeX.jpg

cXRnDGC.jpg

QgODCod.jpg

n5JpAGu.jpg

That is some beautiful artwork!

I'm fixing to build the pedalpcb version of this and getting pretty confused with all the variants there have been between the Dist+ and DOD250. (I learned the phrase "Gray box spec like only 2 days ago....:))

I've been reading through Brian Wampler's article in Premier Guitar and may try a couple of his mods.

I'm also thinking about doing a toggle between Ge and Si diodes for the MXR vs DOD clipping. Not quite decided yet.

Thanks everyone! Really excited with how this turned out. Hopefully it'll raise some money for the cause.

@MichaelW Definitely give breadboarding the circuit a shot. Some of the differences between the different versions have little to no impact on the sound (e.g., the voltage divider resistors for Vref); however, with so few parts, differences can be pretty big. The IC was changed in the 250 over the years—you can sub other single op-amps and see how that impacts the sound. The big difference between the 250 and the Dist+ are the clipping diodes. Take a look at the Rat schematic. See a resemblance? This is a great circuit to try experimenting with and there are tons of resources out there that discuss it.

Thanks everyone! Really excited with how this turned out. Hopefully it'll raise some money for the cause.

@MichaelW Definitely give breadboarding the circuit a shot. Some of the differences between the different versions have little to no impact on the sound (e.g., the voltage divider resistors for Vref); however, with so few parts, differences can be pretty big. The IC was changed in the 250 over the years—you can sub other single op-amps and see how that impacts the sound. The big difference between the 250 and the Dist+ are the clipping diodes. Take a look at the Rat schematic. See a resemblance? This is a great circuit to try experimenting with and there are tons of resources out there that discuss it.
I've never used a breadboard in my life......except to cut bread.....hahah. But hanging around you guys here at pedalpcb forum has gotten me buying weird things.......like this.....

Now I just need to figure out what to do with it!

The Dist+/DOD looks like a good project to get my feet wet/

Untitled.jpg

Back