Phase II signal issues

Stelloh42

Okay - so I just built up a Phase II phaser and it turns on, passes signal in bypass, etc. I subbed a couple of parts since Tayda was out of A25k pc mount pots, so I used an A50k for the rate knob and they were also out of TC1044 voltage ICs, so I used an ICL7660 instead. When the effect is engaged, there is only a subtle hint of phase and the internal yellow LED doesn't seem to pulse at any rate no matter how I set the trim pots or turn the rate knob. Also - when the rate knob is maxed, there is a high pitched whine.
Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also - I definitely didn't attach the LDRs at the right angle. Going to need to redo those. Just looked at another post regarding that and I need to get mine closer to the LED

Post some pictures. Are you testing it in darkness?
There is some light contamination happening with the status LED and the LDRs. I'm going to re-angle them so they are closer to the yellow LED and then cover them so there is no outside light interference. This is my first build with LDRs - do you know if the yellow LED is supposed to pulse visibly?

It should be pulsing, yes.
Thanks - the only variation in the brightness comes from adjusting the trimmer that controls it. The external pots don't affect it all. So I'm going to check all my part values. I also have the right voltage regulator IC on the way. I'll post here if I get the issue solved. Thanks again.

Well that just shows you’ve got a dodgy charge pump chip...doesn’t explain the rest!
Yeah - that one is IC7 - one of the two parts that I sub'd - I seem to recall reading somewhere that the chip I used can do this. The correct one from the BOM is on the way and I'll start running down all the other issues once I get that one sorted. Thanks again.

Back