Planning a RAT...

Does anyone have the DRV 1981? How does this compare to an OG rat?
I built both. I gave the Rat away before the DRV so I never had a chance to do it side-by-side.

I think DRV is voiced toward the lower gain range of the Rat, and is more like an overdrive that gets to distortion, while Rat is an overdrive that quickly goes to distortion then to fuzz.

I've never been a huge Rat fan but did like it at the low gain settings, which in part is what motivated me to build the DRV.

Here you go, one Rat. Sounds heavenly!

U6Yiawt.jpg

This is a rat hole and then some. I have a modified rate 2. 3 clipping mods and a switchable ruetz mod. Got 2 rats with led 914 switching mods, then I bought a fat rat. Then I started with the Brat / Roadkill rat. That board should be here Monday. It has clipping in the feed back loop. I’m working on another one with mosfet clipping similar the fat rat but with two misfits instead of just one. There are so many variations out there. The mosfet I’m working o. Will have 2 options and a diode lift for opamp clipping.

I cheated and used the AionFX Helios PCB for my Rat build (https://aionfx.com/project/helios-vintage-distortion/). I used a LM308N op-amp for authenticity. However, for the clipping diodes I altered the specs a little bit. The cool thing about the Helios is that it has a three-way switch for diode selection. A set of LED's is always kept inline for hard clipping. By default, AionFX specs it out with switch setting for a pair of 1N914 diodes and another for two pairs of 1N914's. I nixed the two pairs in favor for a pair of 1N34A's. So, basically, you get the standard 1N914 clipping (basic Rat flavor), LED clipping only (Rat Turbo?), and GE diodes (Dirty Rat?). Pretty much covers all the Rat most people would want I think. :D

My BB sounds even better after putting that 30p from 1-8 instead of 1-5 ;). I'll put some groovy pics of squiggly lines my scope put out in the Test Kitchen...

Jeff, I used 1N4148s, a 2N5457, and a LM308N.

Derek, have you decided on what mods?

My BB sounds even better after putting that 30p from 1-8 instead of 1-5 ;). I'll put some groovy pics of squiggly lines my scope put out in the Test Kitchen...

I’m going to keep it simple. 3 Knob with 3-Way switch for LEDs, Sym and Asym diodes.

2N5457 here as well. With the LED hard clipping in-line after the main clipping diodes, I would imagine the 1N914’s sort of clip in a similar manner with the LED’s. They’re there no matter what so the kinda clip a bit with the other diode selections…at least I think they do. 🤪

I built two Rat pedals, having never played one. I tried to basically do the same thing you are doing. I installed sockets everywhere I thought a worthwhile mod could be installed. The differences are small, but I keep going back to one pedal. I thought I'd be tinkering with these a lot, but I haven't really touched them.

But PCB boards are cheap, and Rat boards are easy to find. Wouldn't it be fun to build several and use plugs for the hardware (Like an Auditorium Test Platform) so you could swap versions into your enclosure.

Attachments

• rat.jpg
    rat.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 12
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: fig
It's gonna change your world

I hope so. I’m getting tired of finicky and temperamental vintage fuzzes.

Can’t a guy just cop the tones from Old Zep, Jeff Beck “Truth” and “Echoes” and “Time” without RF, oscillation and flippin mud?

Maybe I need a Dizzy Gnat instead of MK II/Supas and Fuzz Faces

That's why I went back to the Rat. Full circle. Push it with a tube screamer and it really sings.

Back