Polonium 2 Distortion (Cornish P-2)

Hirti

I know Cornish pedals get memed a lot around here (and honestly, in the case of the CC-1 I can definitely understand it because that one is boring AF). But something about them always seemed interesting to me. Maybe it's the connection to David Gilmour. And I also really like Big Muff-style pedals so this was an obvious pedal to build for me.

Despite the large amount of components it's a very easy pedal to build because the PCB is really nicely laid out. I had these huge orange 220nF capacitors for years that I have no idea where I bought them from. This PCB had enough space so I could finally use some of them. For this build I used the buffer breakout PCB to be able to switch the buffer off if I ever want that. Design-wise, nothing too crazy and again obviously a nod to the original big black box Cornish designs which I kinda like as much as it pains me to say. The name Cornwall I found while googling for interesting-looking words that start with C. :ROFLMAO: Tayda UV print on a Tayda black sand enclosure.

Sound wise it's definitely a Big Muff but different. Almost like a "well-refined Big Muff." It's really hard to describe the differences. It's more distortion than a wall of fuzz. The tone knob is quite useful on most of the range. The sustain knob is also useful on the lower parts of the range which I find on other Big Muff types sometimes isn't.

If you are a fan of Big Muffs... ehh... I mean Big Muff-style circuits, you should really check this one out. :)

polonium (5).jpg

polonium (2).jpg

Back