Polymer & Hybrid Electrolytic Capacitors

sammo303

Hi folks. Newbie here, reached the precipice and about to fall into the pedal building world as a hobby...!

Like many, I have been spending time researching and trying to make some sense of things whilst contending with differing opinions, misinformation, etc. Steep learning curve but I feel like I'm beginning to get somewhere now, thanks in no small part to threads on this forum so thanks to all!

One thing I've not seen any significant discussion over is the use of Polymer or Hybrid Electrolytics in place of traditional Aluminium Electrolytics. These newer caps seem to solve a number of issues that people seem to have with Electrolytics, namely:

- Significantly lower ESR
- Longer life span

From what I've seen, the downsides compared to Aluminium Electrolytics are:

- Larger leakage current
- Large capacitance sizes seem harder to find

Where I am struggling is with the next stage; making use of this information! As I understand it, electrolytics seem to be used mostly for power supply filtering and in LFO circuits, is that right?

For power supply filtering, I imagine the lower ESR enhances performance by allowing more ripple to pass to ground, and less resistive heating in the process. I would imagine the leakage current is not a major factor in this application as there should never be enough to meaningfully impact DC power rail voltage. Can anyone confirm or correct me on this?

In terms of LFO, I believe that consistent performance is really important and therefore Electrolytics are arguably a bad choice due to their strong frequency dependence on ESR and relatively high leakage current. I'd imagine with increased leakage current, Polymer caps would be even worse here but maybe the reduced ESR makes them more suitable. Anyone have any thoughts here, is it best to stick to Tantalums instead?

There's probably other applications for Electrolytics that I'm currently unaware of so would appreciate if anyone wishes to elaborate.

I guess a point I'd like to clarify is that regardless of what I end up using, I'm really keen to understand the influence of component variables on the circuit and that's where I'm coming from with the question. The practical questions such as whether there will be any audible difference or change in reliability is almost an aside for me just now, I'm keen to understand the fundamentals which for this particular component don't seem to have been discussed to death like everything else!

If you've read this thread, thanks for taking the time. If you are able to share any insight, I'd really appreciate you taking the time for that too.

Thanks,
Sam

Welcome to the forum, and the hobby! As you’ve found, this is a great community.

I’m going to give a very half-assed answer (or non-answer) with the expectations that one of the many people here with true circuit understanding will both correct me and supply some good answers.

My main exposure to building electronic stuff was through building “hi end” audio stuff for myself. From the tube era through SMT. And I have a hard time not using “the best” parts in all my pedal builds. I do believe that types of caps and resistors can really affect the sound. (For that matter, wire too…)

But for most effects, just being in the ballpark with a component is going to get you something usable. Many of the “magic” pedals of the past were the result of pretty wide tolerance parts substitutions by companies that were pinching as many pennies as possible.

For caps, in pedals, first they need to be rated to a high enough voltage, (I like 2x what I expect to use) and second, they need to fit! If the holes don’t line up, that’s less of an issue. My advice is to get some parts, and as long as they’re close to the specs, and fit, build a few pedals. Get a breadboard, and try doing substitutions with different types of caps—see what happens.

For power supply caps, if the circuit has some bypass caps (typically 100nf) I of course use them. If it doesn’t, I add them into the circuit, typically under the main caps, who’s leads I’ve left long enough just for that purpose. If it’s an IC based drive, I’ll put them right under each IC, at the power pins. If I can get them in a correct size, I like using “audio grade” el. caps. Polymer caps work great (to me) when you need them in circuits, say near the output. If we were dealing with a wider freq. range I’d bypass those also, but at guitar freq. it’s just not important.

Again, you are asking good, nuanced questions, and hopefully someone will chip in with more specific answers.

While I cannot speak to, and am pretty sure the texts I'm about to recommend don't either, specifically polymer capacitors, the articles by Cyril Bateman in Electronic's World on capacitors and sound (distortion) are, as far as I'm aware, considered the definitive text on the matter. There's an archive here: https://linearaudio.nl/cyril-batemans-capacitor-sound-articles, and Douglas Self's section on capacitors in Small Signal Audio Design (pages 72-83 in the 3rd edition) is largely a synthesis of these articles. They might not answer all of your questions but it should be a good start.

Cyril passed away in 2015 but I imagine someone has taken up the mantle with how more prevalent polymer capacitors have come with their reduced cost - a lot of this information is not in datasheets, and not super reasonable to trust manufacturers on in advertising copy.

Welcome to the hobby :) the questions you're asking are ones that I wish I was asking earlier into this hobby - even if at the end of the day, a fair amount is overkill for our applications.

Back