• International Mail Service Disruptions
    A large number of international shipments have been disrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic. International shipments may experience longer than normal delivery times.
    Read more…

Prince of Tone (Pauper) Question

Boba7

I have a newly built KOT (July 2020) and an older one (recently sold) from 2015-16. I"ll find the pictures of the boards when I get home. The older one is high gain of the red side and the new one is high gain on both sides. I went for high gain on the yellow side because I found my self cranking that drive as well. I do remember that there is a large cap with an "H" and the IC has "H" on the high gain side (s).
Great thanks a lot!
It would be especially useful to have detailed pics of C4 and C22 on the two pedals! :)

PedalPCB

Administrator
Staff member
Sure thing. I also confirmed the value with my multimeter.
Are there, by any chance, any markings on the OTHER side of that cap?

I'm tracing a circuit today and ran across a random cap value that didn't make sense. Looked on the other side of the cap and it was marked 101. (100p)

Boba7

I have a newly built KOT (July 2020) and an older one (recently sold) from 2015-16. I"ll find the pictures of the boards when I get home. The older one is high gain of the red side and the new one is high gain on both sides. I went for high gain on the yellow side because I found my self cranking that drive as well. I do remember that there is a large cap with an "H" and the IC has "H" on the high gain side (s).
Curious to see the pics! :)

BurntFingers

I was just looking at the schematic posted earlier on in this thread. What's with the parallel caps at the output? 2 x 1uf caps, one electrolytic, not bipolar, in parallel before the output so making 2uf total.

The parallel layout seems odd. Could a 2.2uf electro do the same thing?

There's something similar happening with resistors closer to the input as well.

Boba7

I was just looking at the schematic posted earlier on in this thread. What's with the parallel caps at the output? 2 x 1uf caps, one electrolytic, not bipolar, in parallel before the output so making 2uf total.

The parallel layout seems odd. Could a 2.2uf electro do the same thing?

There's something similar happening with resistors closer to the input as well.
There’s no parallel resistors in the schematic if you look closer ;)

The parallel caps at the output don’t make much sense. A single 1uf film cap would do the job (providing the same amount of low end as a larger value, I believe)
Maybe Analogman wanted a 2.2u for whatever reasons, but didn’t want an electro in the signal path, and a 2.2u film cap was more expensive or rare, so he went for a 1uf film cap and a 1uf electro.
I dont know.

I think some VFE pedals use the same output cap configuration, so maybe there’s really something to it (I trust VFE pedals much more than most other builders!)

BurntFingers

Ah yes you're right, there's some 10nf cap action going on. Still, I reckon that whole section can be streamlined.

I wonder if something to do with esr in the signal path, like sticking a 220uf and 100n in the power section.

sonnyboy27

Are there, by any chance, any markings on the OTHER side of that cap?

I'm tracing a circuit today and ran across a random cap value that didn't make sense. Looked on the other side of the cap and it was marked 101. (100p)
Just opened it up and checked again. Nothing on the other side. Those were the only markings on either of my MCC caps.