Prince of Tone (Pauper) Question

I have a newly built KOT (July 2020) and an older one (recently sold) from 2015-16. I"ll find the pictures of the boards when I get home. The older one is high gain of the red side and the new one is high gain on both sides. I went for high gain on the yellow side because I found my self cranking that drive as well. I do remember that there is a large cap with an "H" and the IC has "H" on the high gain side (s).

Great thanks a lot!
It would be especially useful to have detailed pics of C4 and C22 on the two pedals! :)

Sure thing. I also confirmed the value with my multimeter.

Are there, by any chance, any markings on the OTHER side of that cap?

I'm tracing a circuit today and ran across a random cap value that didn't make sense. Looked on the other side of the cap and it was marked 101. (100p)

I have a newly built KOT (July 2020) and an older one (recently sold) from 2015-16. I"ll find the pictures of the boards when I get home. The older one is high gain of the red side and the new one is high gain on both sides. I went for high gain on the yellow side because I found my self cranking that drive as well. I do remember that there is a large cap with an "H" and the IC has "H" on the high gain side (s).

Curious to see the pics! :)

I was just looking at the schematic posted earlier on in this thread. What's with the parallel caps at the output? 2 x 1uf caps, one electrolytic, not bipolar, in parallel before the output so making 2uf total.

The parallel layout seems odd. Could a 2.2uf electro do the same thing?

There's something similar happening with resistors closer to the input as well.

I was just looking at the schematic posted earlier on in this thread. What's with the parallel caps at the output? 2 x 1uf caps, one electrolytic, not bipolar, in parallel before the output so making 2uf total.

The parallel layout seems odd. Could a 2.2uf electro do the same thing?

There's something similar happening with resistors closer to the input as well.

There’s no parallel resistors in the schematic if you look closer ;)

The parallel caps at the output don’t make much sense. A single 1uf film cap would do the job (providing the same amount of low end as a larger value, I believe)
Maybe Analogman wanted a 2.2u for whatever reasons, but didn’t want an electro in the signal path, and a 2.2u film cap was more expensive or rare, so he went for a 1uf film cap and a 1uf electro.
I dont know.

I think some VFE pedals use the same output cap configuration, so maybe there’s really something to it (I trust VFE pedals much more than most other builders!)

Ah yes you're right, there's some 10nf cap action going on. Still, I reckon that whole section can be streamlined.

I wonder if something to do with esr in the signal path, like sticking a 220uf and 100n in the power section.

Are there, by any chance, any markings on the OTHER side of that cap?

I'm tracing a circuit today and ran across a random cap value that didn't make sense. Looked on the other side of the cap and it was marked 101. (100p)

Just opened it up and checked again. Nothing on the other side. Those were the only markings on either of my MCC caps.

I was out of town, sorry for the delay

2017 KOT (sold this one, high gain red side)
sTOfntx.jpg

21ZofbI.jpg

vBErZOW.jpg

v2gW8KY.jpg

2020 KOT (both sides have, high gain)
s8OYbD2.jpg

gjmqWrj.jpg

qbUHVwp.jpg

SVnc1Wk.jpg

ftYEgq9.jpg

Last edited:
Many changes from the original KOT actually.

- No Distorsion clipping diodes. Vref to OD Diodes

- The high gain mod is 100k from gain 2 to gain 3 and 100k coming from Gain 1 (instead of 10K).

- Turbo mode (even higher gain) only on the POT is 5k after gain instead of 10k. Actually it's 2 10k parallel (1 is swichable internally) which gives 5 k.

- switchable multilayer ceramic 1Uf parallel to the grounded 10n to modify the low mids

- 100n and 1k carbon comp added after OP amp lug 7

- the power supply adds several components. The 47n bitween the LED and the footswitch is quite strange, never seen that before. Maybe to prevent from pops.

Last edited:
I think there might be a couple of tiny errors in your trace.

The way the LED is hooked up in your schematic, it won't stay lit for more than a few ms.

The clipping sw hookup is questionable also.

As I was saying, the led wiring seems strange. I’ll double check but I already spent many time on this part of the circuit and got those results.

What seems wrong with the clipping switch for you ?
This part looks like the same found for the Pauper to me.

LED: It needs a DC current path. That 47nF cap is blocking DC.

Switch: There is something wrong with the wiring to the two bottom terminals or the right middle terminal. Try drawing that part of the schematic with the switch hardwired in the up position. See if that schematic makes sense. Then draw it again with the switch in the down position, see if that makes sense.

Reactions: fig
Hello,
is there any reason to use different C1 and R3 values in Pauper and Paragon schematics? Do I need to use both 22n for C1 and 1K for R3 for low gain both pedals?

Hello,
is there any reason to use different C1 and R3 values in Pauper and Paragon schematics? Do I need to use both 22n for C1 and 1K for R3 for low gain both pedals?
No. The resistor change is the only requirement for the high gain mod.

The pauper was traced from a prince of tone which had a different input capacitor than my king of tone (which had a 22n). Strangely, my king of tone seems to be an outlier with most having a 10n input capacitor. It won't make a huge difference but feel free to try socketing the capacitor if you want to compare them.

No. The resistor change is the only requirement for the high gain mod.

The pauper was traced from a prince of tone which had a different input capacitor than my king of tone (which had a 22n). Strangely, my king of tone seems to be an outlier with most having a 10n input capacitor. It won't make a huge difference but feel free to try socketing the capacitor if you want to compare them.
In the schematics, I expected to have same component values as prince of tone suppose to be half of king of tone that's why I am confused. Pauper has 10n for c1 and 10k for r3 but on the other hand Paragon has 22n for c1 and 1k for r3 when we are talking about low gain mod.
1621192554090.png

1621192501524.png

This video was posted a couple of days ago. "That Pedal Guys" compared KoT with Prince of Tone. You can clearly hear the difference.

Indeed, this is the origin of my question which I try to figure out what are the differences...

Back