Promethium switchable hard clipping question

ANGRY_SWEDE

I am wanting to use a 3pdt as a hard-clipping switch between two sets of diodes. Am I correct in thinking the anode pad of D6 would be the "send" and the kathode pad of D7 would be the "return?"

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, cheers!

pro_dio.png

Hard clipping needs to go to ground. That drawing would be a coring circuit like D4/D5 before it and it also wouldn’t do anything unless you cut the trace between those to joints.

if you want to do switchable hard clipping, remove D6/D7, and put your switch in place of one of the diodes.

for example, you have the input of your switch connected to the anode of D6, put the output on the cathode of D6. Leave D7 unpopulated.

if you use a 3-way on/off/on switch you can also have a no-diodes option in the middle position.

Hard clipping needs to go to ground. That drawing would be a coring circuit like D4/D5 before it and it also wouldn’t do anything unless you cut the trace between those to joints.

if you want to do switchable hard clipping, remove D6/D7, and put your switch in place of one of the diodes.

for example, you have the input of your switch connected to the anode of D6, put the output on the cathode of D6. Leave D7 unpopulated.

if you use a 3-way on/off/on switch you can also have a no-diodes option in the middle position.
Thank you for that! That makes sense.
pro_dio.png

You also only need to use a DPDT switch, unless you’ve got spare 3PDTs I wouldn’t waste one
What was omitted from my crude mock-up was the LED that I will be adding to the unpopulated pole, as an indicator. Otherwise absolutely no reason to use a 3pdt.

Also, if you measure your forward voltages, then you can have three options, just make sure the highest forward-voltage is in the middle, such as: Silicon/LEDs/Germanium.
The Si and Ge go on the outer lugs, 1&4 and 3&6 respectively, while the LEDs go across lugs 2&5.

1 4

LEDs will have a jump in volume compared to the others. You can compensate by putting in a small resistor or adding extra diodes ...
Sili in series, for example
1N4001 < 1N4001< GND
1N4001 > 1N4001> GND

Or just adjust your volume! 😸

Back