Push button DPDT (for Double Jeopardy, or anywhere you'd use a toggle)

slowpogo

I'm building the Double Jeopardy. I don't mind toggles, but I like the button on the original Solo Boost.

Does anyone know of a push-button switch, that is suitable to sub for a toggle in Pedalpcb builds? It would have to have a similar body height to a Taiway, and only require a simple hole to be drilled.

I looked on Mouser but even narrowing it down as best I can, there are still potentially hundreds to sort through and look at datasheets. I'm wondering if someone has already done that work.

And of course, this part would work on a lot of builds, so it would be great knowledge for the community in general.

I don't think you're going to get the results you're hoping for from this type of switch.
1668478928224.png
Everything past the nut sticks up out of the enclosure, it doesn't mount flush like the push button on the Solo. Also, even the latching type doesn't behave like you'd expect. It does latch, but the switch doesn't stay locked in the "pressed" position so you can't look at the switch and tell if it is latched or not. You press it, it toggles, but returns to the fully extracted position each time.

What I think you want is this type of switch (along with your choice of cap)
1668479104600.png

I have some breakout boards that allow you to use these in the place of a standard SPDT, and another variation drawn up to use them in the place of a DPDT but I haven't worked out a method to actually mount them that I'm satisfied with. You can use a set of pinheaders but they aren't a perfect fit.

Ideally the PCB needs to be laid out with these in mind.

This is what the previously mentioned switches look like when installed. I doubt this is the look you're shooting for.

1668484403404.png

1668484436204.png

I don't do Eagle but I could send you the DipTrace component.

Technically I can export Eagle components, but sometimes they don't import properly.

Going off on a tangent... Would it be reasonable to substitute a foot switch for the toggle in this build with some off-board wiring? Any volume drop between modes?

No reason you couldn’t wire a footswitch off-board, that I can see.

From the demos there doesn’t appear to be a significant volume difference but would love to hear from an actual owner.

I don't do Eagle but I could send you the DipTrace component.

Technically I can export Eagle components, but sometimes they don't import properly.
We could give it a shot, I have an one I’ve been dying to use. I got two when I built the Motley Crue pedal.

Here's an SPDT I have a couple of:

SILVER SQUARE PUSHBUTTON L10S.jpeg

So you drill a regular round hole (8 or 10mm? Whatever!) and then a nut locks it in place and you have this funky silver square switch without having to work out a square hole. They come in momentary and latching.

Now I know you need DPDT — I'm thinking there's gotta be something similar out there with DPDT. If I find something I'll post it back here.

Back