Random Comments

If you don't already own the Deluxe Edition of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Live at the Fillmore, you're missing out. A must have for fans of Tom and The Boys. If you're not a Tom Petty fan, this 4 CD set could make you a convert. So many gems, including Theme from Goldfinger, Eight Miles High with Roger McGuinn, Boogie Chillun with John Lee Hooker and the rare B-side Girl on LSD. I'm not exaggerating when is say this one sits at the top of the list of best live rock recordings.

My biggest Tom Petty regret is I only got to see them once. It was at the beginning of their illustrious career when they opened for Nektar at the Santa Monica Civic on 7-Nov-1977.

Correction: the live version of Girl on LSD is on the Deluxe Edition of Wildflowers and All The Rest.

Last edited:
My biggest Tom Petty regret is I only got to see them once. It was at the beginning of their illustrious career when they opened for Nektar at the Santa Monica Civic on 7-Nov-1977.
That’s quite the interesting pairing! A southern jangle rock legend opening for an English psychedelic prog group. That would be just around the time frame that a relative of mine was in the band— I don’t know if it’s personal bias, but I think that era of Nektar (magic is a child) doesn’t really get the credit it deserves. I mean, Robert Fripp played on it a little bit, so it’s gotta be a decent album!

As a long time Nick Cave and Leonard Cohen, I somehow managed to always skip over the Bad Seeds cover of Tower of Song on their B sides release. It starts out exactly not how I thought it would and always turned me off(while all their/his other Cohen covers are fantastic).
I finally went past the first 20 seconds oh hoowe is it fun. Sounds like an impromptu 1 take having fun after coming back from lunch recorsing but it's worth the 5 minutes if your a fan of either.

Edit: there are some other great tracks on the B sides collection as well.

That cover did not work for me, however it did cause me to spend time listening to Leonard Cohen songs as performed by Leonard Cohen. Live in London is a fine recording! So thanks for nudging me to listen to something I don't usually listen to.

If you don't already own the Deluxe Edition of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Live at the Fillmore, you're missing out. A must have for fans of Tom and The Boys. If you're not a Tom Petty fan, this 4 CD set could make you a convert. So many gems, including Theme from Goldfinger, Eight Miles High with Roger McGuinn, Boogie Chillun with John Lee Hooker and the rare B-side Girl on LSD. I'm not exaggerating when is say this one sits at the top of the list of best live rock recordings.

Correction: the live version of Girl on LSD is on the Deluxe Edition of Wildflowers and All The Rest.

"Girl on LSD" is such a great b-side that nobody knows about.

"Do you believe in ghosts? Of course you do, everyone does. We all find patterns in the chaos around us, we make sense of things whether they actually make sense or not. Once we believe in those patterns, we give them a face, we edit the details into one coherent narrative; right then at that moment, a ghost is born." - Quantum Cowboys (2022)

Back