Red Herring (Menatone Red Snapper)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Catching up on a couple of builds. Been slow going last week or so.

Been distracted with all the guitarded pursuits....heh.

This one is a stock Red Herring.

As you may recall, I built the first one as the Clark Gainster.

So it definitely shares some common DNA as the Red Snapper but it also sounds different.

I actually dig it! Holding off the demo until I get the next one built. Which will be another Clark Gainster but with the mojo components.
Waiting on a 2n2 CDE cap for that build.

I used one of @szukalski 's micro relay switching boards that I posted about here.

AMAZING little things. All the components are SMD with the exception of the Relay itself which is a micro relay.

They fit nicely in a 1590B. Although I need to get some shorter collared soft switches. These stick out a bit far if I leave room for the relay and to be able to close the back.

IMG_6061.JPG

IMG_6060.JPG

Super clean as usual. I'm interested in hearing the comparison demo. And that smd relay board is awesome @szukalski I need to figure out how to make some relay switching pcbs or just incorporate them into my boards all together.

Reactions: fig
Beautiful work as always, Mike! If you didn't see this, the Red Herring and Guardian have the same clipping circuits. You might like playing them side-by-side to see what's the same/what's different.

I'm definitely interesting in your thoughts (and demo!) between the stock Red Herring and Gainster modded version.

Ok lets hear what you thought on the side by side. It should be possible to get the Herring and the Gainster to sound very similar by setting the Cut on the Herring to 22k of its B25k range.

I'm loving the Gainster so much - especially with the Tone at 11 - that I'm tempted to build a Herring too.

Ok lets hear what you thought on the side by side. It should be possible to get the Herring and the Gainster to sound very similar by setting the Cut on the Herring to 22k of its B25k range.

I'm loving the Gainster so much - especially with the Tone at 11 - that I'm tempted to build a Herring too.
I did the demo on this build report.

The stock Red Herring is definitely a little different sounding but all sound great.
I think my least favorite of the 3 was the one with the PIO caps.

Maybe a dumb question, but what are you using to go from the pcb to the switch. Looks like thicker bare wire. Is that something you can buy, or are you using scraps from a diode or something? Build looks awesome!

Maybe a dumb question, but what are you using to go from the pcb to the switch. Looks like thicker bare wire. Is that something you can buy, or are you using scraps from a diode or something? Build looks awesome!
Post in thread '3PDT board to main board conmectors'
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/3pdt-board-to-main-board-conmectors.14814/post-171258

I had that link handy because I just looked into this and ordered some.

Aspiring to make your builds look more like @MichaelW’s? Join the club.

Back