3PDT board to main board conmectors

Ctrl4Smilerz

I've seen a few build reports that use uninsulated wires to connect the 3PDT board to main board. It looks very clean and was curious what product people are using for that.

Typically solid core. 24g is a good compromise in terms of easy to work with and not too flimsy. I tend to leave the insulation on most of the time. The wire I use (bought surplus big spools of is decades ago), is silver plated, so it’s very shiny if the insulation is stripped.

Typically solid core. 24g is a good compromise in terms of easy to work with and not too flimsy. I tend to leave the insulation on most of the time. The wire I use (bought surplus big spools of is decades ago), is silver plated, so it’s very shiny if the insulation is stripped.
What is the benefit of stripping he insulation?

It would be purely aesthetics; there are situations where no insulation could be beneficial, but not at any of the frequencies we’re concerned with. People may have spools of uninsulated wire they’re using, too. As I said, I typically leave the insulation on. When I haven’t it’s been because the wires are short enough that it’s harder to keep the insulation there. (Although this may be more due to how hard getting Teflon off is, on the wire I use.)

I use 22 ga buswire. Cheap, effective, no plastic to melt on the wire if you like to solder from the top. I draw mine using a drill and pliers (and safety goggles!!!!) before use.

I use either solid wire or trimmed leads from larger components as the usual 1/4 watt resistor leads are to small and flimsy for me. I like to build the pedal completely and give it some testing before disassembly and painting. The heavier leads support the stomp switches better and help keep them aligned for final assembly.

Back