Rosamp SLO 30 Build

jjjimi84

I couldn't wait to start working on this and I really couldn't wait to start sharing it with everyone right over here;

I thought it would be best to start a proper build thread in case anyone was interested in building something like this. A Soldano SLO 100 has been a dream amp of mine since I started playing guitar and going to see Warren Haynes tear it up in Gov't Mule just cemented in my head what kind of sound I want. Unfortunately it is hard to justify a 100 watt tube head but was really intrigued when they came out with the 30 watt version, I was really considering getting one (and might still) but really wanted to check out DIY options. Rosamp.com has been really great to order from and the box came super quick and everything was really well packed. The build documentation is just a lay out and a schematic and is fairly sparse, I wouldn't recommend this for a beginner or first time amp build. Places like Trinityamps, Valvewizard, Allenamps have really incredible documentation that really leads you by the hand on the build.

The chassis, knobs, transformers, pcbs and parts are all top shelf and it is really quite a beautiful thing when it is put together.

Here are some pics from the first day of the build.

This is test fitting all of the components into the chassis
dJZcTvyl.jpg

NELbPVOl.jpg
MGiecARl.jpg

jOLO5Lxl.jpg

Here is the preamp board
XlqS8zTl.jpg
vGjRgKQl.jpg

Here is the power board
V02cKiYl.jpg
vYRZWdPl.jpg

Here are some over exposed shots of the board with the test fit.
McR4Vrjl.jpg
yg10RRLl.jpg

The next session;

This is a look at the preamp tubes and input jack.
Eg9rEgcl.jpg

Here is the effects loop, foot switch jack and impedance and output jacks
F5oMPRHl.jpg

A look at the power section almost all wired up
hEDrj4sl.jpg
r79g4oHl.jpg
GrW8ueml.jpg
YM4bWoEl.jpg

A look at the speaker jacks
2c1LTEPl.jpg

A look at my desk this morning, the preamp board is wired up and ready for the final stages.
Gcuo956l.jpg
7egwVpDl.jpg

Super easy! There were a few head scratcher moments but all in all not bad. I crossed two wires on the master volumes and did not have success on first fire up. It is up and running but needs a bit of clean up

That is some nice clean work! I imagine it sounds Awesome!

I'm getting the itch to pull out one of my gazillion amp projects/builds.

Daaaaamit I need to build me an amp. I should have when I had the money, but I bought an amp instead. I’m jealous.
You really need too! The feeling of having most of my signal path built by me is pretty rewarding, especially with the make over strat...pure fire over here.

You would have no issues building one, I have found some @bean builds to be harder. With amps, for me, it is a lot slower. This was done in three sessions and they were each a couple hours, I take my time and triple check things and get really into it.
That is some nice clean work! I imagine it sounds Awesome!

I'm getting the itch to pull out one of my gazillion amp projects/builds.
Thank you! Big day working on it, hoping to get it in video shape (sans art work) to maybe do a live play through or something.

Alright if you look at the first picture, that is how it looked fresh from the bench and not working. I had the normal and overdrive channel masters flipped, second orange wire next to the purple wire on the left hand side. I took shots of the knobs because they are some of the nicest knobs I have ever seen.

The last picture is how it is currently setting, in a half finished cabinet running into a 1x12 ported cabinet with a celestion 65 watt cream back. It is the most immediate amp I have ever played, it has a very pleasing stiffness in it that really does anything I could ever want an amp to do.

For the first time in almost 10 years I am building a pedal board for this amp, deeply in love right now.

BEAUTIFUL figuring on that cabinet! And the woodworking is exquisite. Reminds me of an old trainwreck amp.
There is a really long beautiful story to that cabinet, a dear friend of mine made it for me for a project and it was a temporary fix. The cabinet has been waiting for the right project to come along and I am so grateful it fits. The front had to be routed for the controls and I accidentally hit the front on the router table causing that swirl mark. It kind of sucks but I am going to further route the top of the control area to see the knobs from above better and do some sanding and painting. The running idea is a bird on a branch, I just picked up my local bird guide from ACE (along with some new clear coat cans) and am hoping to have something sketched up for the front. Hopefully a fitting tribute to my friend

Back