Rosamp SLO 30 Build

Honestly, I didn’t see the swirl until you said something. There is so much figure in the wood, it doesn’t show the router ding too much. I’m sure with some sanding and biffing it will be totally unnoticeable. Are you going to burn the bird design into the wood? That will be a thing of beauty

Honestly, I didn’t see the swirl until you said something. There is so much figure in the wood, it doesn’t show the router ding too much. I’m sure with some sanding and biffing it will be totally unnoticeable. Are you going to burn the bird design into the wood? That will be a thing of beauty
I really like that idea but have no idea how to wood burn. The plan is a hand painted image and a clear coat to protect it. Let me hit the ipad and show you what I am thinking about.

wood burning is just a different tip in your soldering iron and most of the time just used for the black lines. If that is made from solid flame maple... the total raw price of your amp is up there with an original Marshall from the 60's... I might have tinted the wood but with a white face on the metal.. iz purrty!

Killa! Great seeing it together and sounding great, such a neat cool build well done! Great cab too and very nice to see a trademark Dan painting on there! Indeed some Trainwreck looks vibe with SLO guts, what a combo!

wood burning is just a different tip in your soldering iron and most of the time just used for the black lines. If that is made from solid flame maple... the total raw price of your amp is up there with an original Marshall from the 60's... I might have tinted the wood but with a white face on the metal.. iz purrty!
That is solid flame maple. The final color may change as I enter the painting stage.
Oh ya! That looks great. I’ve always just used my soldering iron to burn designs into wood. I use a tip only for wood burning . But ya that paint looks great!
This is not the project I want to attempt wood burning but would love to get into eventually
Killa! Great seeing it together and sounding great, such a neat cool build well done! Great cab too and very nice to see a trademark Dan painting on there! Indeed some Trainwreck looks vibe with SLO guts, what a combo!
Thanks mate! I think the final image might be a bit bigger….need another week of staring at it.
That looks great Dan! I love it
Thanks Will!
Nice looking maple.
Thank you sir!!!
Well done, man. Very nice.

View attachment 54489
You taking pictures of my Sunday nights?

Holy F**K that's killer. I agree with above, it has a trainwreck vibe going on but then again if anyone was going to do next level stuff with an enclosure I figured it would be you. I can't wait to hear this thing.

@jjjimi84 — You gonna stain that wood, or maybe a burnt umber to natural burst, or something like that?

That grain is begging to be highlighted somehow!

EDIT: ah I see the final colour may change (Post #30)...

Absolutely love this. There's a real train wreck vibe from this IMHO
One open mouth kiss coming your way! Thank you, I would be really interested to play one of those and compare it to the SLO.
Just wow!

This is truly gorgeous! This is jaw dropping work man!
Thanks mate! See above.
Holy F**K that's killer. I agree with above, it has a trainwreck vibe going on but then again if anyone was going to do next level stuff with an enclosure I figured it would be you. I can't wait to hear this thing.
@Gordo Here is my plan; put out my video for today and then set up the mics, a little pedal board and film a grungy little sound video for everyone. Then take it apart to clean up a few things........
@jjjimi84 — You gonna stain that wood, or maybe a burnt umber to natural burst, or something like that?

That grain is begging to be highlighted somehow!

EDIT: ah I see the final colour may change (Post #30)...
......because @Feral Feline said this! I will then film taking it apart and sanding it down, staining it, clear coats, hand painting and then any mods. Also see above to first sentence.

The video is finished but @Pauleo1214 said it sucked and that it shouldn't be consumed by human ears. He made some really valid points, like the great friend/producer he is, but I slightly disagree. It is a quick sound test demo, with my five favorite pedals and with the freshly built SLO30, thinking people might be interested in hearing how it sounds and how I am using it right out of the gate. The video is a bit grungy but shows what happens when you slam a tonebender into the front of a SLO:oops::love::p

He says it should be more; is the amp is worth the money? How hard it is to build? Does it compare to an actual SLO?

He is right, it should be because that is probably what everyone wants to know, right? Maybe? IDK.....

Then this got me thinking, like he usually does, what questions would anybody here want answered about the build or the amp or any of it, that could actually be put into a video for anyone who is interested in building this. There is a new idea circling in my brain about how to approach a build video and having as many questions as possible would be helpful.

I must say though, I have a hard time answering if it is worth the money because money is subjective to everyone. If you cannot eat, then no it is not worth the money but if you have an extra 700 bucks and a head cabinet, you could not find a better place to put it. The more familiar the amp becomes, the find more stuff I enjoy out of it. The crunch side of the normal channel could be an amazing single channel amp all its own and takes pedals beautifully.

The build is challenging but if you have patience and understand this thing can kill you, then you will be fine. This is also my sixth amp build so take that for what it is. There is no hand holding documentation, it is a layout and a schematic, that is it. The plus side is there will soon be a surplus of pictures on the interweb soon on this very forum.

How does it compare? No clue, I will probably never know until my kid is out of college and I can actually buy one.

The amp has a super responsive and tight punchiness to it that is outstanding. Paired with a 1x12 cabinet with a 65 watt Creamback speaker, with the five pedal board, leaves few stones upturned. It is the kind of amp that will have me building a pedal board with loop switcher and not looking back for a long time.

What say you folks? Grungy sound demo today and then fancy pants, questions answered, vocal microphone, minimal 60 cycle hum, loud ass demo later. Then a cabinet rebuild video later, maybe.

Post the video fam
I second that, post it!

Videos for this forum and videos for the general public are two different things.

For the record, my critiques/ suggestions were grounded in the perspective of someone who is new to DIY and wants to build or get a SLO without shelling big bucks for the real thing. I hope this helps to provide some clarity though I'm sure everyone has already concluded I'm a massive d!ck. 😆

Back