Seabed Delay (Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Continuing my journey into Bjorn Juhl land.....

I've read a lot of great reviews about this delay but it just never really interested me to build another PT2399 delay.
Boy, I didn't realize what I was missing. What a great sounding delay!

My interest in this board was sparked by my deep dive into building as many Bjorn Juhl projects that I could find. I've really been smitten with his designs and his sounds. Even though mostly his overdrives, I got curious how he would do a delay.

I "thought" I had pretty much settled on analog delays only as I really prefer the "less than pristine" sound of BBD's. But inherent with analog delays is also some of the quirky behavior with other pedals that I've run into.

The Deep Blue is a dead simple 3 control delay, yet there are a ton of sounds in it, everything from rockabilly slap back to deep lush wet long delay times.
For such a simple circuit it really does a great job emulating an analog delay and most importantly, it plays well with my dual delay setup that I've been struggling with for a while now with two analog BBD delays.

The repeats are warm yet articulate and doesn't have any hint of the "brittle" sound I find in most digital delays, especially DIY ones. I think out of all the digital delays I've played, the Strymon El Cap sounds the best to me, but of course you can't build one.
The repeats of the DBD even has a tiny bit of that "rrrrr" distortion of BBD delays. I'm not entirely positive if this is by design or the particular PT2399 chip I used.
But I love it!

Plenty of output, the level control is actually a blend control that works really well with a lot of "finesse" control of how much delay you want. Max delay time is around 450ms. The only thing that could make this better would be modulation, but then it wouldn't fit into a 1590B..... :p .

I have it running into my MBP Tourbus and the TB provides the slight bit of modulation I like to run. The dual delay sound is much more articulate than running my MBP ManOWar into the Tourbus, yet it doesn't sound as "tinny" as running any of the other digital delays I've built into the Tourbus. So far this combination has come the closest to the sound I'm hearing in my head that I'm looking for short of running dual Deluxe Memory Man units in a stereo setup. (Still working on that....hahah).

Super happy with this and can highly recommend it for a very simple and inexpensive to build, simple to use, but pretty flexible delay pedal with a lot of sounds in it.

As with all of @Robert 's layouts, this was a medium component count build but I breezed through the build fairly quickly because it's laid out so well.
And did I mention it fits in a 1590B....:ROFLMAO:.

I'm not sure where I got this enclosure from, it wasn't Tayda, but I've been avoiding using it for a while because somehow it got scratched up.
But it was the only blue 1590B I had, and this pedal HAD to go into a blue enclosure heh. So excuse the scuff marks.

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4221.JPG

One of my favorite delays! Super simple, but a great sound. Clean build as we've come to expect. You make 1590Bs look bigger than they are with your top jacks and all haha.

I've built several PT2399 based delays and this one is my favorite. I built the Aion Legacy version design for a B enclosure and side jacks!

BJ was one of the first pedal designers that I was aware of having a cult following. (For his entire line, not just one or two specific pedals.) He’s currently doing designs with One Control, here’s his Delay with them

I was equally surprised at how great this sounds. I had become a delay cork-sniffer, after about a decade with a TRex Replica, I went digital, a Source Audio Nemesis, but then after a cupla years I got a bit tired of it, and landed on a Future Factory, which still blows me away. Then I got a Meet Maude as a team player, and they are the league champs, as far as I‘m concerned…But there‘s something so right about the way the echo sits with the dry signal, that is a thing of beauty in the Seabed. And I think, esp. at 15v (the max I‘ve run it at), it changes my dry signal less than those two fancy guys. Just amazing.

As is you amazing output of pedals, Michael!

I saw this post in my new posts feed and thought oh someone must’ve commented on one of his old builds there’s no way he hadn’t built that yet. I was wrong.

Great looking build as always. I like the scratches. It’s relic’d lol.

Thinking about building another one of these but trying to do the tap tempo thing. I sent mine to my uncle along with a hall from aion for a belated Xmas gift.

Echoing my comments on your other builds/reports — both great for this ...

delay.

I've been avoiding the Deep Blue Delay, for all the reasons you mentioned. I've got Rebote PCBs and other PT2399-based delays.

The durned DBD keeps perennially popping up on the radar though, so it must be good if the fad (fat?) of it never trailed away — it just keeps being repeated as to how good it is.

When I look at the schematics, it doesn't look much different than other simple PT2399 delays, so I guess I'll have to eventually build this to see what the fuss is about. I think I might even be able to squeeze it onto one of GuitarPCB's D'lay boards (rebote variant), then I won't have to buy yet another PCB...

Perhaps I will have to ...

2511283705_b73f20bae9.jpg

Echoing my comments on your other builds/reports — both great for this ...

delay.

I've been avoiding the Deep Blue Delay, for all the reasons you mentioned. I've got Rebote PCBs and other PT2399-based delays.

The durned DBD keeps perennially popping up on the radar though, so it must be good if the fad (fat?) of it never trailed away — it just keeps being repeated as to how good it is.

When I look at the schematics, it doesn't look much different than other simple PT2399 delays, so I guess I'll have to eventually build this to see what the fuss is about. I think I might even be able to squeeze it onto one of GuitarPCB's D'lay boards (rebote variant), then I won't have to buy yet another PCB...

Perhaps I will have to ...

2511283705_b73f20bae9.jpg

The deep blue delay is honestly really great. You should definitely build one dude.

@MichaelW One of the ways I use mine is ripped off from how Matt Schofield uses his DBD, go to 9mins 35

@music6000 was kind enough to point out that I linked One Control’s reverb, not their delay. Here’s their delay:

That was really cool. I agree that it doesn't get in the way. Really cool delay! Is he using two Deep Blues?

Yeah he has one permanently set to that short delay with 1 repeat which is always on. The other is set for a longer delay time and is used for solos I think. He never uses them both at the same time it's one or the other. It's a really good interview and definitely worth a watch. His music's not my cup of tea but I definitely respect the ability and his approach to cords etc.

Yeah he has one permanently set to that short delay with 1 repeat which is always on. The other is set for a longer delay time and is used for solos I think. He never uses them both at the same time it's one or the other. It's a really good interview and definitely worth a watch. His music's not my cup of tea but I definitely respect the ability and his approach to cords etc.
This is how I used mine and currently how I use my magnetron. Repeats turned way down time turned way down almost just like a fattener don’t really resalize it’s on until you turn it off sort of thing.

What a great delay! I never stopped using mine. I love that since its a PT2399 based delay you dont get that digital "wash" in the background that i find with other FV1 based delays. Awesome job as always!

Back