Seabed Delay

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I didn't realize how much I needed this pedal. This blows away the GuitarPCB D'Lay that I just built. Which is sort of similar. But this just sounds and feels smoother and clearer. This even knocked of my MXR Carbon Copy off my board.

I'm a simple man so a 3-knob delay (or any pedal for that matter) is in my wheelhouse. And this does everything I need it to do and more. The PT2399 chip has opened all whole new world for me. I feel it's a great introduction to time-based effects builds.

I can't recommend this one enough for an easy to use, great sounding delay pedal.

Attachments

• 20231023_181653.jpg
    20231023_181653.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231023_181714.jpg
    20231023_181714.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 54
Nice build!

I’m in full agreement with you. I was happily set up with both a digital and analog delay that really fulfilled any of my delay needs, but built this out of curiosity—and it’s just really lovely sounding. I currently have it located away from my other delays (which are near end of chain, just before reverbs), just in front of mod pedals. Putting a bit of delay before mods does all sorts of cool things to the mods.

Very clean build.
Such a rich deep blue for the Seabed!

D'lay vs Seabed
I wonder how much of that "better sound" is from Robert's layout and how much is from the small tweaks to the circuit.

I recall comparing the schematic of the D'Lay to the Deep Blue, and I'm pretty sure the DeepBlue could be built on the D'lay PCB. I have the PCB, just haven't got 'round to building it.

As I've come to know, layout can make a huge difference in how well a circuit sounds/performs (noise-floor for example). Nonetheless, I try not to overlap circuits, so if I have a PCB from X-company and Y-company offers the same circuit-PCB, I won't bother getting Y-company's PCB.

Anyway, for some reason I accidentally ordered the Seabed, twice;
and I have a couple of D'lay PCBs as well. I could build one of each circuit on each board...

Thanks for the build report and feedback on D'lay vs Seabed — I've been curious.

Very clean build.

D'lay vs Seabed
I wonder how much of that "better sound" is from Robert's layout and how much is from the small tweaks to the circuit.

I recall comparing the schematic of the D'Lay to the Deep Blue, and I'm pretty sure the DeepBlue could be built on the D'lay PCB. I have the PCB, just haven't got 'round to building it.

As I've come to know, layout can make a huge difference in how well a circuit sounds/performs (noise-floor for example). Nonetheless, I try not to overlap circuits, so if I have a PCB from X-company and Y-company offers the same circuit-PCB, I won't bother getting Y-company's PCB.

and I have a couple of D'lay PCBs as well. I could build one of each circuit on each board...

Thanks for the build report and feedback on D'lay vs Seabed — I've been curious.

Thanks! I totally agree on layout. And I also agree that's its not really a fair comparison. They do look very similar but there is enough differences. I think I just like the Seabed a little more.

I don't have the GuitarPCB board, but I love my Seabed. Other than how it sounds, one of the main things I love about it is it's simplicity; it's easy to fool around with and find the right setting for whatever sound your looking for. Easily my favorite delay from those I've built thus far.

Very clean build.

D'lay vs Seabed

Interesting comment! If layout plays that much of a role (which I'm sure you're right about), then @Robert's boards will almost always be the go to then.

I've already built two PT2399 delays (Magnetron and Cataclysm). I wonder how this compares?

Yeah, I liked the Cataclysm quite a bit, but I gave it away. I still have the Magnetron, which is nice if you want modulation, but I think I liked the Cataclysm better.

I am wondering if I should build the Cataclysm (again) or try the Seabed.

Back