Seabed: "Indigo Delay"

rwl

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
The Seabed Delay is a clone of the Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay. This is a surprisingly simple pedal that sounds great.

This pedal has a watery undersea sourt of sound, but I decided that was too on-the-nose for my theme (I could have done a seabird), so I went with one of the deepest-blue birds instead, the Indigo Bunting. This is a common songbird across eastern North America and it's a very striking color. The design is UV printed in a sky blue enclosure. I'm quite happy with the design; it's a design that I didn't have a clear vision for when I started.

No hard-to-find parts, no FV-1, no brick or anything. This was an easy build for what you get. The pedal started out in a generic enclosure (I've been trialing pedals in generic enclosures before doing artwork), and I thought it merited a stylized enclosure so it got rehoused. I'm not happy with the knobs (some cheap bulk spares I ordered from Amazon), so I'll probably replace them with green or blue aluminum knobs in my next Tayda order.

It sounds great, does slapback, and adds a lot of extra oomph and texture. I don't really like repeated delays or feedback, but it can do both; I prefer to keep the delay time very short and the repeat count moderate, making it sound closer to a reverb pedal.

Attachments

• indigo_front.png
    indigo_front.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
  • indigo_guts.png
    indigo_guts.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
Lovely.

I particularly enjoy the amount of thought that went into the build. Just looked at some Indigo Bunting pics, very striking!

What about blue knobs for LEVEL and DELAY and a green knob for REPEAT, to better blend the latter into the foliage?
Might not work, but maybe will look good?

I've struggled a bit with finding the right knobs within budget (around $1/each). For most of my "final" builds I feel that aluminum is mostprofessional. And I prefer the smaller ones to leave more room for the print (so 12.5mm outside diameter) with a set screw so they can fit on any potentiometer shaft (6mm or 6.4mm)

On Tayda, the options are limited (red/blue are $1/ each, a few other colors are $1.40). Love my switches has more colors, but for $1.75 each.

In general I've tried to match them to the background, or occasionally to make them look like an object in the scene. The sky on this pedal is more yellow, so I might take your suggestion but go with yellow/green.

If anyone has ideas for small professional-looking cheap knobs, I'm all ears.

I'm digging the bird-graphics series. This one looks great.

I also like to shoot for around a buck a knob. Tayda has some good ones, but Stompbox Parts is my go-to for knobs.

Back