Selectable capacitors/resistors/diodes

ac30irons

Hey all, I am thinking of doing a 2 in 1 klon - screamer thing probably done a thousand time before.

I know both circuits can benefit with different caps in various places but is there a way to break them off the board, when there is only one cap slot, and have changeable with a mini toggle ? Also could this be done with diodes ?

I know this is likely a noob question🤦🏼‍♂️

There are ways to do this with both dpdt one-on-one and on-off-on switches as well as rotaries. If you are in Europe,.fuzzdog and moonn electronics both offer PCBs to use with a rotary switch. PPCB has this one as well. You can also get solder lug rotaries and just solder straight to the switch.
With diodes, you only need to jumper one set of pads and then populate your switch with inverted pairs.
There are quite a few threads here on how to do this and wiring options. But I'll let you search those. :)
Just note that squeezing more than one of these in can start to eat up major real estate and adds more internal wiring that can get messy. Bells and whistles can be nice but only if you need the bells and the whistles.

Another option, in some ways the "easiest" option, would be using sockets for the components you want to replace. Completely eliminates any confusing wiring/switches that beginners may struggle with. Then you can audition all the components you want and then settle on the one you like the best. You aren't limited to whatever you solder on the switches.

Every pedal I've built with diode/cap selectors, have all sat on the setting I found I liked best and I haven't switched them since.

There are ways to do this with both dpdt one-on-one and on-off-on switches as well as rotaries. If you are in Europe,.fuzzdog and moonn electronics both offer PCBs to use with a rotary switch. PPCB has this one as well. You can also get solder lug rotaries and just solder straight to the switch.
With diodes, you only need to jumper one set of pads and then populate your switch with inverted pairs.
There are quite a few threads here on how to do this and wiring options. But I'll let you search those. :)
Just note that squeezing more than one of these in can start to eat up major real estate and adds more internal wiring that can get messy. Bells and whistles can be nice but only if you need the bells and the whistles.
Thanks dude, super helpful

Another option, in some ways the "easiest" option, would be using sockets for the components you want to replace. Completely eliminates any confusing wiring/switches that beginners may struggle with. Then you can audition all the components you want and then settle on the one you like the best. You aren't limited to whatever you solder on the switches.

Every pedal I've built with diode/cap selectors, have all sat on the setting I found I liked best and I haven't switched them since.
Thanks brother.

Back