Simplest relay bypass possible - no microcontroller

ADAOCE

Could we possibly get a pcb that would allow relay bypass switching with as small a footprint and parts count as possible? The intelligent relay board is awesome but overkill for the implementation I’m thinking of. I’m building a pedal looper strip and toying with using soft click momentary switches vice regular 3pdt switches.

There are some options out there from other sites but they’re from Europe so I’d rather something from PPCB to avoid their dodgy intl shipping policies (not to mention I just love giving money to this site...)

Any other method (555 timer, CMOS, BJT flip flop, etc) would likely involve more components, not less, but that's not to say a smaller footprint PCB isn't possible.

Any other method (555 timer, CMOS, BJT flip flop, etc) would likely involve more components, not less, but that's not to say a smaller footprint PCB isn't possible.
I see what you mean. What do you think of this?

I guess I’m really looking for the lowest cost option since the switcher I’m building has around 8 switches

There are plenty of Vero layouts you could build & try out, I've built a couple but found none are as responsive as the one from PedalPCB (also I'm a sucker for the momentary function)

There are plenty of Vero layouts you could build & try out, I've built a couple but found none are as responsive as the one from PedalPCB (also I'm a sucker for the momentary function)
The intelligent relay module looks great and I would use it on a pedal especially a more complex or fancy one for sure. I’ve been wanting to try vero too

Another thing to keep in mind is that type of relay bypass module uses non-latching relays.

This means when all 8 relays are active you'll be burning up 100mA just to keep the relays closed.
That’s a good point and something I failed to consider. I’ll have to do some thinking about this. Thanks for the replies

There are some options out there from other sites but they’re from Europe so I’d rather something from PPCB to avoid their dodgy intl shipping policies (not to mention I just love giving money to this site...)
Sorry, but shipping from the US to Europe is far more expensive, $20 minimum for anything is just overkill.

Sorry, but shipping from the US to Europe is far more expensive, $20 minimum for anything is just overkill.
It wasn’t necessarily the cost it was more that the site basically said we only ship one type of post and we can’t track it and we aren’t responsible if the post loses it...

It wasn’t necessarily the cost it was more that the site basically said we only ship one type of post and we can’t track it and we aren’t responsible if the post loses it...
You know, that's just one particular store.
Shipping to Europe starts at around $8.
That's true and this is great exception. I was mainly referring some ebay listings where an item costs around $5 and shipping is 5 times more.

I see what you mean. What do you think of this?

I guess I’m really looking for the lowest cost option since the switcher I’m building has around 8 switches

I used those on my early PedalPCB builds. They don't perform all that great. They miss clicks and turn themselves off if you hold the switch half a second too long. I had some back and forth emails with Fredrick talking abut tweaks and there is only so much a simple flip-flop circuit can do.

Just get over the aversion to microcontrollers and you'll end up happy -- that's what worked for me.

I used those on my early PedalPCB builds. They don't perform all that great. They miss clicks and turn themselves off if you hold the switch half a second too long. I had some back and forth emails with Fredrick talking abut tweaks and there is only so much a simple flip-flop circuit can do.

Just get over the aversion to microcontrollers and you'll end up happy -- that's what worked for me.
Thanks for the input! I guess it’s really down to the lowest cost option since I need so many for my application.
I like the incandenza and it looks like I can make it for around $4 to $5 total I’d just have to be aware of the power consumption with the non latching relays

Back