Skeptical buffer, no electrolytics?

Abyssmal

About that Skeptical buffer...
On 29 pedals website it says no electrolytics in the signal path but there's a lot on the pedalpcb board image i see on the website.
What is going on here? They can't be all for the power delivery?...

1709253012003.png

He also says it's not a buffer... :ROFLMAO:

I list electrolytic because they're the most commonly available option for through-hole components in those values.

You can use film, ceramic, tantalum, or niobium oxide if you'd prefer. It is, after all, just a buffer.

1709254716154.png
tbh the guy seems like a bit of a snake so i wouldn't be surprised that in this wording above, what he actually means is 'no electrolytic or ceramic caps in the signal path', but writing it that way wouldn't sound as badass as possibly inferring that the entire thing is free of electrolytics & ceramic capacitors.

Huh? He’s saying there aren’t any in the signal path? Audio = signal. I don’t think there’s confusion that there may be electrolytic/ceramic caps in other blocks.

There’s a lot of nonsense with this thing, but that statement is perfectly fine.

"WHATEVER power supply, which accepts 7.5 to 35 volts of AC or DC in either polarity with no change in tone." :unsure:

Now I may want to name my 4tap like that... How many component does that whatever power supply counts ?

"WHATEVER power supply, which accepts 7.5 to 35 volts of AC or DC in either polarity with no change in tone." :unsure:

Now I may want to name my 4tap like that... How many component does that whatever power supply counts ?
One side of the board is just for power and its as big or more than the actual circuit lol

Reactions: Nic

I list electrolytic because they're the most commonly available option for through-hole components in those values.

You can use film, ceramic, tantalum, or niobium oxide if you'd prefer. It is, after all, just a buffer.
Yeah, but would be nice to make a remark on the build guide about it or something, i realised pretty quick that this company is a bif of snake oil oriented, with the enclosure vintage style i thought of neve, anyway, as you say its just a buffer, i'll pass on this one i think.

Yeah, but would be nice to make a remark on the build guide about it or something
I actually just realized...

1709258041783.png

C6 is the only capacitor in the signal path that is was listed as an electrolytic, and that should have been listed as tantalum as well. (it's corrected now)

C3, C6, C8, and C10 are the only polarized caps in the signal path. All of the others are in the power supply.

Let me clarify though, I don't think Jesse is a bad guy. I don't think he's intentionally misleading his customers. I do think some exaggerated (or maybe overzealous?) claims are made about the pedal, but it's not a bad pedal. Anyone who wants an original EUNA should absolutely buy one.
Support the guy. If you hate it you can surely resell it.

We got off to a bad start, I get it. He definitely made some false statements around these parts with regards to cloning, piracy, morals, and the Asian market, but again, I get it... I don't agree with it, but I understand.

Last edited:
I think it's a decent pedal! I'm the guy that just built a vero to try it, and it really solved a lot of little noises and signal issues live. Mind you, that's with a regular old bipolar power supply and not the "whatever" type..

There are two on the audio side, but to be fair, those aren't part of the signal path.
Looking at all this circuitry for just basically a Buffer reminds of the of the Lead vocalist of a Country band I saw locally 30 years ago.
When the show was finished I heard him say jokingly to the Lead Guitarist that he could have the following night Off!
When the Guitarist asked why, the Leader said that he had played so many extra notes would cover 2 shows that he wouldn't be needed!!!

I'm glad I was able to build the SB through PPCB. I've used similar circuits from Aion/GPCB, with carrying degrees of success. The SB works great in my signal chain because there is little to no noise, compared to other circuits I've used in the same vein.

The Euna is not at all a 100% Eunique circuit........

Back