Soldering tip recommendations?

You can do pretty much anything with a “hoof” style tip. They have a handful of different names but will usually have C or BC in the product code

I have this exact same soldering station and think it’s pretty great (it is the first one I’ve ever owned). I personally prefer working with chisel tips, and I thought that the assortment of tips that came with the station were pretty good. That being said, my chisel tip finally wore out (poor maintenance on my part) so I replaced it with this Hakko tip from Amazon.

Mike

Not sure what tips your iron takes but for pcb work I prefer the hakko T18 S7.
I like it because I can use the fine point of the tip to heat the pad, then lean the flat point into the component leg, ensuring I have the pad fully heated before heating the component. For larger pads and components (switches), the flat portion of the tip makes quick work.
I will say, don't waste youe time with cheap off brand tips. Even though 7 tips for $7 sounds good, they don't perform the same. I have bought a few just to see. The cheap ones weigh a third of the hakko tips. They take longer to reheat and I can only imagine don't last nearly as long. They also did not have the insert that hakkos have to ensure consistent and even reheating.
A properly cared for a tip should last you many months if not years, so the difference in price spread out across that time is really very minimal.

I use a hoof tip but for PCBs chisel tips work better for me as I can rest the flat part against the lead and pad. It's a bit harder with a hoof tip because it's rounded.
A medium knife tip works well on larger components like turrets, pot lugs and the back of pots.

I tin the tip and clean it with the mesh ball every few joints and I tin it before putting the iron down. I add a generous dollop of solder before I turn off the iron. Tips last years this way.

I use a hoof tip but for PCBs chisel tips work better for me as I can rest the flat part against the lead and pad. It's a bit harder with a hoof tip because it's rounded.
A medium knife tip works well on larger components like turrets, pot lugs and the back of pots.

I tin the tip and clean it with the mesh ball every few joints and I tin it before putting the iron down. I add a generous dollop of solder before I turn off the iron. Tips last years this way.

First post I’ve read thats convinced me to try something other than a hoof for general pcb work

AOT-08D (aka 0.8D) 0.8mm chisel tip is still my all-time favorite.
Recommended if you like small tips, easy to maneuver into small spaces.

Whenever I try another tip, I always go back to old faithful. It's been in use for 3 years straight now. Never goes bad. It's even bent from misuse and still performs like a champ.

1mm conical tip is also pretty good.

Last edited:
AOT-08D (aka 0.8D) 0.8mm chisel tip is still my all-time favorite.
Recommended if you like small tips, easy to maneuver into small spaces.

Whenever I try another tip, I always go back to old faithful. It's been in use for 3 years straight now. Never goes bad. It's even bent from misuse and still performs like a champ.
really tiny for me. I like girth. 1.6mm would be ideal for PCBs.
1mm conical tip is also pretty good.
Say what now? Chisel is so much better. Never understood why the conical is tip is the default one. Probably because it's cheaper to manufacture.

Yeah, I tend to agree for generalized advice; my experiences may be atypical, and I wouldn't lead a new user to a frustrating conical tip (if any beginners stumble upon this thread.)

For years, I was happy with a big fat chisel. It delivers the heat everywhere at once and is good for everything: pcbs, tube amps, guitar electronics, etc.

1703683003428.png

But pads seemed to get smaller in the stompbox world over the years. I kept melting adjacent pads due to the sheer girthyness.

If I get a sharp, flat chisel tip, I will go in at an angle instead of putting the flat edge flat on the pad.

1703682804666.png

Now, I prefer these tiny baby chisels. Instead of using the tippy tip, I use the side to hit the pad and component lead simultaneously.
1703683270446.png

Hi! I have an X-Tronic 3000 Series soldering station: https://www.amazon.com/X-Tronic-3020-XTS-Digital-Display-Soldering/dp/B01DGZFSNE/

I'd like to get a variety of tips for it, but I'm not sure what specs to look for. Anyone have recommendations or guidance to set me on the right path? I'm primarily doing pedal building and some amp repair.

Thanks in advance!

I use a pencil tip for everything to do with PCB/vero builds. Hakko. For larger things, like TS plug ground wires, case grounds, turrets, etc I use a larger one as appropriate.

Back