Solid aluminum Chickenhead knobs!

Where do you get your knobs? I have trouble finding anything (even the cheap ones) for less than $1.00 each.
Primarily from the good folks over at @StompBoxParts

AES has some good stuff in that price range too if I have an order going that way.

Tayda is the cheapest. I think they have some stuff down to like 40 cents but I got tired of getting knobs that were all scratched up. The SBP stuff shows up in much better condition.

I remembered I have an amp build sitting on a shelf that I don't have knobs for yet, so I threw a couple in my CE Distribution order tonight. I went for the "natural" ones in case I feel adventurous and decide to powdercoat them to match the aesthetic of the amp.

I remembered I have an amp build sitting on a shelf that I don't have knobs for yet, so I threw a couple in my CE Distribution order tonight. I went for the "natural" ones in case I feel adventurous and decide to powdercoat them to match the aesthetic of the amp.
I just got my Dunlop 65 lemon oil and Tun-Sol reissue 5AR4 from CE today for the Bassman I'm building. I needed five more bucks to make the $50 minimum and I've never tried it on my necks. Always just used wax, but I hear it works well.

I just got my Dunlop 65 lemon oil and Tun-Sol reissue 5AR4 from CE today for the Bassman I'm building. I needed five more bucks to make the $50 minimum and I've never tried it on my necks. Always just used wax, but I hear it works well.
I've used the Dunlop lemon oil for a few years now on my rosewood fretboards, I love the stuff. Keeps the wood well hydrated and frankly smells great while doing it.

Wax is the best for maple fretboards, lemon oil is the best for rosewood or ebony

Yeah I was disappointed there weren't more options for colors, I would like them in red to match my amp build. I'm planning to powdercoat mine, but I'll have to re-fill in the indicator line if I want that.
That's a nifty thought. Perhaps you could first fill-in the indicator line with wax before powder coating. (?)

The wax will melt in the blink of an eye.. 10-15 min, 180-200 °C
I had no idea powder coating involved heat. Never introduced to it and completely unfamiliar with the process. Good to know. I assume they get baked after spraying. (?)

I had no idea powder coating involved heat. Never introduced to it and completely unfamiliar with the process. Good to know. I assume they get baked after spraying. (?)
They do get baked after spraying, but applying a wax mask to precisely cover the index marking seems like just as much effort as precisely repainting it after the powdercoat has cured.

Alternatively a candy (translucent) coat over a raw aluminum knob with a black index marking would leave the black marking visible and just kind of tint it a little.

Well I love them. Absolutely usable just like this in a relic build or vintage restoration, but I'll be powdercoating them when I'm ready to use them (a month or two probably). They feel nice and solid. I'll probably pick up more next time I do an amp project.

IMG20240116161835.jpg

$3.50 USD each doesn't seem too bad. I spent $20 for two sets of Fender Jazz Bass knobs for my King of Tone build and $3 each for some Neve/Marconi style wing knobs for a Hudson Broadcast build.

Back