Son of Ben

DAJE

I had some problems with this one*, but now it's sorted and I've played it in, I feel the need to say: I love it!

Clean dirt, I call it. Classic rock in a box, very much a late 60s/early 70s feel for me.

After reading some threads here I decided to leave out C5 and C10, but I put sockets in so I can try it with them - I will, but I'm very happy with it as is.

Box still needs decoration, but it'll have to wait. I'd rather play it.

(*See thread in the Troubleshooting forum for details.)

Attachments

• SoB.jpg
    SoB.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 57
  • SB01.jpg
    SB01.jpg
    481.5 KB · Views: 57
  • SB02.jpg
    SB02.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 57
What do you use for skin? It looks like wrapping paper.

I'm no good with paint, pens, ink, varnish, pretty much anything of that nature. Especially wet stuff. So I needed something to make my pedals look good but that I couldn't mess up and ruin.

I thought about it for a while and came up with "wallpaper" - which led me to these decor stickers. There are a huge range of designs, I went with the paisley/psychedelic style because that's kind of a theme for me. I experimented a bit and what you see on this pedal is now my standard way of doing it. I use 15 cm squares because I like the size of the design, but it means the top doesn't get covered. Which is OK for me, some might be bothered by that.

I'm planning on using a labeller for the controls, but haven't got one yet.

That's the specific page for the one used here on my SoB, and I've bought a couple of sets from that seller with no problems. There are many other sellers on AE and I'm sure they're also on various other eshop sites including Amazon/eBay.

Here are some of my earlier works: L-R; Aion Radian (Rangemaster) / PedalPCB Sunspur / Tayda LPB-1. The LPB-1 uses a different type of sticker which is much thicker and harder and doesn't bend well, so I chopped it up and went with what you see. Not bad, but room for improvement.

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 27
Awesome !!!
I really like the knobs too…
Mini chicken-heads, also from AliExpress. They're cool, and reasonably small so they don't get unusably crowded, as you can see with the 4 knobbed SoB.

They're 6 mm split-shaft only, though: they will not work with 6.35 mm solid shaft pots. It's harder to find the 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) ones on AE. They're there, but the 6 mm ones are way more common and cheaper.

Mini chicken-heads, also from AliExpress. They're cool, and reasonably small so they don't get unusably crowded, as you can see with the 4 knobbed SoB.

They're 6 mm split-shaft only, though: they will not work with 6.35 mm solid shaft pots. It's harder to find the 6.35 mm (1/4 inch) ones on AE. They're there, but the 6 mm ones are way more common and cheaper.
Awesome thanks man I’ll definitely try some of these out

I thought about it for a while and came up with "wallpaper" - which led me to these decor stickers. There are a huge range of designs, I went with the paisley/psychedelic style because that's kind of a theme for me. I experimented a bit and what you see on this pedal is now my standard way of doing it. I use 15 cm squares because I like the size of the design, but it means the top doesn't get covered. Which is OK for me, some might be bothered by that.
I ordered some of those tile decals, and I'm pretty psyched how nice it looks. Thanks for the idea!

IMG_20210912_142317036.jpg

Son of ben is what started my journey in pedal building and still one of my faves. My first build of it never worked, but I learned so much from it that I rarely have issues with builds now. Very cool skin, thanks for sharing! I really dig that blue one.

Back