Soul Drive test point

Billyhank

I’ve got a Soul Drive I’m about to start building. It’s got a test point on the board and I was curious what it was for. Obviously for testing but what would I be testing? Looking for a certain voltage?

Also, there’s a 0 ohm resistor printed on the silk screen. Is this the correct value?

You can connect the clipping diodes either to ground or to vref via tp1. So connect 0R to tp1 for that instead of to the right pad (ground).

This sounds like a job for a switch!
Put it on a switch to determine if there's a difference in sound-quality when clipping diodes are going to VREF instead of to GND.

@Billyhank Can you (or anyone else) post a pic of the unpopulated board? The board in The Shop has refdes, no values and no TP1.
There are no new build docs for it yet, and the old build doc (Rev 10.31.17) doesn't have a TP1.

Last edited:
You must increase C100 and C101 to 220uF to provide enough filtering to connect the hard clipping diodes to vref instead of ground. Vref should sound more saturated. I’m not sure if a switch would be so beneficial. You can use 220uf in both situations of course and experiment with it.

As mentioned in my review on PedalPCB I will probably add a toggle switch to select between 1n916 and BA282/482 where the latter do provide for more openness IMO.

This sounds like a job for a switch!
Put it on a switch to determine if there's a difference in sound-quality when clipping diodes are going to VREF instead of to GND.

@Billyhank Can you (or anyone else) post a pic of the unpopulated board? The board in The Shop has refdes, no values and no TP1.
There are no new build docs for it yet, and the old build doc (Rev 10.31.17) doesn't have a TP1.
Sorry man, I finished the board. Just went for it. It turned out great though! Lol.

I would be interested to know what the bass switch does on the v2 Plimsoul? I skipped the switching of the soft clipping diodes because it doesn’t remove the low end focus of the pedal.

Back