SpinCAD Designer "Coarse Delay"

Cybercow

In SpinCAD Designer release 10.32, I cannot find the building block "Coarse Delay". But in a few older .spcd files I found, there is a block labeled "Coarse Delay". I've found it useful for a couple of patches, but I always have to re-copy those of those patches to get that block into a new patch. Was "Coarse Delay" removed? And if so, what replaces it please?

I think "Coarse Delay" was one of the first blocks I ever implemented directly in Java. It predates the "SpinCAD Builder" language. It has a self contained feedback loop as compared to the external one in the Three-Tap (or Triple-Tap) delay block, which is what I recommend you use instead. It's very helpful to be able to put various types of filter and other things in the feedback loop.

As you have discovered, the "Coarse Delay" is still available to patches which used it, but it's not shown in the menu any more. The block code is still there but I removed it from the menu in favor of the more flexible "Three-Tap".

If you find you can't live with this, you have a couple choices:
  • Check out the code for SpinCAD Designer and SpinCAD Builder, set up the Eclipse Java+DSL IDE, ask for help when you get stuck (as the instructions are missing an important step), then add this block back to the menu. :eek:
  • Get the older version of the program from Github. The patches made with this version can be considered "Vintage" with a capital V and command top dollah on the black market. ;)

Last edited:
Larry - thank you for the detailed explanation. I still have the 10.27 version and found that the "Coarse Delay" is still there. It's good to know what the preferred replacement is for the "Coarse Delay" with fresh patch constructs. And I can certainly live with the update. If I really still want the "Coarse Delay" GUI block, I can always just open a 10.27 patch that has it in the patch. But I think I'll just Open 10.27, create a quick-n-dirty "Coarse Delay" patch, then save it as a starting/reference 'patch' for 10.32 (and higher) new patches. Again, thanks for leadership with FV-1 patch development.

Back