Spirit Box w/ Mods

flemming

It seems like I was always one part short of finishing this one for months now. I did the fuzzdog mods changing R4 -> 18k, R8 -> 12k, and the Dwell pot to B25K . For me the dwell change is honestly probably useless, but there wasn't really a downside. One thing I did that might be helpful to someone else was to figure out a way to socket the Belton Brick (just in case). The normal SIP sockets wouldn't work because of the shape of the pins so I bought a 14 pin leaf style socket and cut it down to 6 pins:

Then I trimmed the pins on the Belton Brick down so that it sat as low as it could and stuck a little Blu-Tack in there to hold it in place. It does add a little height, so the pots come through at a bit of angle, but once you tighten things up it comes together fine. Graphically, I originally wanted to orient the planchet the other way, but I didn't feel like dealing with relocating the LED. That was probably a little lazy on my part :)

Robert

Attachments

• PXL_20210504_025239350.jpg
    PXL_20210504_025239350.jpg
    688.6 KB · Views: 260
  • PXL_20210504_025219457.jpg
    PXL_20210504_025219457.jpg
    758.1 KB · Views: 270
  • PXL_20210417_222913480.jpg
    PXL_20210417_222913480.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 249
  • PXL_20210417_223005056.jpg
    PXL_20210417_223005056.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 246
Aww, the pupil of the eye on the planchet could've been the LED!

Many thanks for the Belton-socket idea.
I also like your molex connector for the power; finally a way for me to use up those type of power jacks and still be able to easily remove the entire circuit from the enclosure for trouble shooting.

Great looking build.

I really enjoy this reverb. It lays down a nice ambience that you don't get with regular belton brick. I had trouble with mine, a broken trace but once I sorted that out it really started to sound cool.

It seems like I was always one part short of finishing this one for months now. I did the fuzzdog mods changing R4 -> 18k, R8 -> 12k, and the Dwell pot to B25K . For me the dwell change is honestly probably useless, but there wasn't really a downside. One thing I did that might be helpful to someone else was to figure out a way to socket the Belton Brick (just in case). The normal SIP sockets wouldn't work because of the shape of the pins so I bought a 14 pin leaf style socket and cut it down to 6 pins:

Then I trimmed the pins on the Belton Brick down so that it sat as low as it could and stuck a little Blu-Tack in there to hold it in place. It does add a little height, so the pots come through at a bit of angle, but once you tighten things up it comes together fine. Graphically, I originally wanted to orient the planchet the other way, but I didn't feel like dealing with relocating the LED. That was probably a little lazy on my part :)

Robert
interesting CLIP on your DC jack. where did you get that idea?

interesting CLIP on your DC jack. where did you get that idea?
I've seen quite a few people here use something similar. If you put the small end of the plug on the jack side (ie not like I did here because I was dumb) and snip a tiny bit of plastic off of the corners you can insert and remove the plug connection through the hole in the enclosure with no problems.

Robert

Robert
can u tell me more about the "fizzdog" mod please?

Really cool looking graphic on this one. And cool you figured out a way to socket that brick just in case! I love it!

Changing R4 to 18k improves unity volume and it's probably a good change to make. Changing R8 to 12k, and changing the Dwell pot to a B25K will drive the dwell into self oscillation. Doing that is honestly a waste of time unless weird noises are your thing :)

Robert
I'm about to start this build, so I am glad that I came across this thread! Planning on making this change to the R4 resistor. Thanks!

Back