Square hole strategy

jubal81

Still need to do my EQ pedal with sliders and wondering if there's any suggestions for tools for cutting out big square holes in the cast aluminum boxes.

Previously I did all of the prototypes with a series of holes using my drill press. It takes a lot of time and gives a rough opening.

Last week when it was time to cut the hole for the rocker switch in the Vibe prototype I wanted to try a different approach.

I bought a square file from Harbor Freight for $3.50... The difference was incredible.

I used a punch to mark all four corners of the cutout then drew an outline using a Sharpie, just for a visual reference. I started with a 1/2" hole in the center and used the file to create the square opening. It took maybe five minutes to do from start to finish.

The square file is nice because it makes corners easy to square up.

Drill the four corners, then use a coping saw to connect the holes make quick work of the bulk of it (the method @PedalPCB mentioned works as well, but the saw is just as fast, produces less shavings and does less wear on the drill bits, and best of all, leaves you with a big chunk of enclosure material that you can test finishing techniques and/or drilling ideas on). Then use a square file to get everything cleaned up to the lines and to get nice crisp corners.

I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel perpendicular to the enclosure on a rigged up sled. Then just had to clean up the top and bottom. Did the same for the big square cut-out on a Mimirs Well.

Back