Fixing wonky drill hole?

jwyles90

Hey all!

Was drilling some enclosures earlier and to my shock and horror, realized after drilling that my LED hole was way off center. It all looked good when I center punched it, but I suppose I didn’t look closely enough (clearly).

I’m just curious is anyone has any tips or suggestions for possibly refilling the hole, or even partially filling it, to center things out a bit. I saw @MichaelW ‘s thread on borked enclosures, which was super helpful. But I’m wondering if there’s a way to remedy this a bit that wouldn’t require stripping the color off the enclosure.

I also recognize that it might be difficult to do without sanding the front down, so leaning into the wonkiness might be my only option here. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated though!

Attachments

• 0129DEC6-5F95-42E8-B227-8037E0E47E1E.jpeg
    0129DEC6-5F95-42E8-B227-8037E0E47E1E.jpeg
    722 KB · Views: 30
Hey all!

Was drilling some enclosures earlier and to my shock and horror, realized after drilling that my LED hole was way off center. It all looked good when I center punched it, but I suppose I didn’t look closely enough (clearly).

I’m just curious is anyone has any tips or suggestions for possibly refilling the hole, or even partially filling it, to center things out a bit. I saw @MichaelW ‘s thread on borked enclosures, which was super helpful. But I’m wondering if there’s a way to remedy this a bit that wouldn’t require stripping the color off the enclosure.

I also recognize that it might be difficult to do without sanding the front down, so leaning into the wonkiness might be my only option here. Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated though!
Two words... Fender, Washer...
or hey... join the growing hoarde of the marble-intellegensia...

1683185485310.png

Hey all!

If I'm seeing this right, It isn't your led that's off!
It's the Hole for the Middle Potentiometer above it that is to the left, should be able to file to the right of it to straighten it up!
Washer should just cover it with a standard 19mm knob, no one will see it!

0129DEC6-5F95-42E8-B227-8037E0E47E1E (2).jpg

You could try a monster led!

But there’s still the challenge of opening up the hole without following the original location. Any drill is going to try and flex to follow an existing hole. A step bit might be rigid enough to do it with a solid clamp-down on a drill press.

Got any machinist friends? A milling machine would be ideal for relocating the hole, and someone with a lathe could make you a step bushing to adapt from your new hole size back down to your intended one.

You could try a monster led!

But there’s still the challenge of opening up the hole without following the original location. Any drill is going to try and flex to follow an existing hole. A step bit might be rigid enough to do it with a solid clamp-down on a drill press.

Got any machinist friends? A milling machine would be ideal for relocating the hole, and someone with a lathe could make you a step bushing to adapt from your new hole size back down to your intended one.
I have corrected the hole in the mockup picture by using a 6mm round file, you dont want a drill anywhere near it!
The second hole from the bottom which I believe is his LED has not been touched.

If I'm seeing this right, It isn't your led that's off!
It's the Hole for the Middle Potentiometer above it that is to the left, should be able to file to the right of it to straighten it up!
Washer should just cover it with a standard 19mm knob, no one will see it!

View attachment 47780
I’ve done this ahem “a few times” before. Agree 100%. Round file, patience, frequent breaks to check fitment.

Back