Starboard Fuzz Questiob

Brent

Not sure this belongs here, but to my mind....

I’ve built the starboard fuzz and I don’t seem to get anything close to a usable volume. I can hear tone generator signal through to my amp very quietly but with no discernible signal when using a guitar. I know not to expect unity which is why ultimately I will be putting a amentum in line with it in the same case. I’ve read elsewhere that 4.5v is optimal coming into the collector, but unsure how to measure that. (Assuming it can even be measured in circuit) Any help in pointing in the right direction would be wonderful. I don’t have a lot of experience in troubleshooting as yet. I’m over two months in research on my own and not getting anywhere. Please and thank you in advance.
Brent

You're better posting some nice clear pics of both sides of the board and offboard wiring so it can be traced to 3PDT, DC jack, in and out jacks etc

I've not built the starboard but built plenty mosrite variants you should be getting plenty useable volume

To measure the collector voltage power the circuit, stick your black probe in the COM socket and red in the V for voltage socket switch your meter to VDC put your black probe on any ground point, red probe to the transistor collector pin, if you don't have an autoranging meter set your dial to 20 VDC

Google 2N3904 pinout to see which pin that is and get yourself familiar with them

I'm hopeless with pinouts, but it looks like left to right pins would be Emitter, Base, Collector but as I say check it I often forget you'd be looking at it as if it's installed onto the pcb and confuse the hell out of myself

Last edited:
Back