Such a Kliché...... :-)

Inspired me to do some auditions today and I’ve got a new favorite Klon pair: the green band sold to me as 1N34.
FV on my Fluke is .35 and leaky as hell. Less aggressive and more clarity.
The labeled 1N34 I have look just like Bills diodes and measure .35 fv, but are less leaky. These sounded darker and more compressed.
Honestly I had no idea leakage was a thing with diodes. I also didn't think that might be why I like some of the diodes but it totally explains why some are really clear and much less gainy.

When I have my breadboard out measuring some transistors I'll go through mu diode stash properly then back to back some of them in my favourite Klon.

Are you running a straight up Klone @jubal81 or is it modded at all?

Honestly I had no idea leakage was a thing with diodes. I also didn't think that might be why I like some of the diodes but it totally explains why some are really clear and much less gainy.

When I have my breadboard out measuring some transistors I'll go through mu diode stash properly then back to back some of them in my favourite Klon.

Are you running a straight up Klone @jubal81 or is it modded at all?
Only changes I made on my layout were ditching the charge pump and plugging 18V into it, using studio grade opamps and adding some diode switching. Audio path is 100% klone. Diodes are socketed so I can A/B test with a toggle on top. Here's a link to the build report.

Last edited:
That looks excellent very classy. I've been enjoying the silver pony spec klone I built a few weeks ago. It might even usurp my previous favourite which has the Juan and Cleggy 8n2 tone cap in it. There's something about the mids and treble in the silver pony that I really.

That looks excellent very classy. I've been enjoying the silver pony spec klone I built a few weeks ago. It might even usurp my previous favourite which has the Juan and Cleggy 8n2 tone cap in it. There's something about the mids and treble in the silver pony that I really.
Thanks. I liked the Silver Pony quite a bit, too. I've always felt the Klon filtered off too much of the upper mids for my taste. The leaky diodes help. Another good mod is to drop the value of the 390pF cap in the U1B feedback path to anywhere from 47pF to 270pF to bring back in more of those upper frequencies.

Thanks. I liked the Silver Pony quite a bit, too. I've always felt the Klon filtered off too much of the upper mids for my taste. The leaky diodes help. Another good mod is to drop the value of the 390pF cap in the U1B feedback path to anywhere from 47pF to 270pF to bring back in more of those upper frequencies.
I've got a D&M drive in my build list so I'll socket this cap on that build to check. I've not played with that cap on a klone yet.

I am going to build a Kliche soon. I'm curious if anyone's tried BAT41 or BAT46 in this circuit?
I don't want to go chasing germaniums and I've seen both of these suggested as alternatives.

I am going to build a Kliche soon. I'm curious if anyone's tried BAT41 or BAT46 in this circuit?
I don't want to go chasing germaniums and I've seen both of these suggested as alternatives.
At the end, as always, it comes down to taste. However, the cheapest, most commonly available Ge diodes sound great in that circuit and are my personal favorites. Bat41 and Bat46 are good choices, but a bit more aggressive and darker than Ge.

Thanks for those curve traces, Chuck. I really want to bite the bullet and buy a DCA75, but I don't have a Windows machine at home.

Inspired me to do some auditions today and I’ve got a new favorite Klon pair: the green band sold to me as 1N34.
FV on my Fluke is .35 and leaky as hell. Less aggressive and more clarity.
The labeled 1N34 I have look just like Bills diodes and measure .35 fv, but are less leaky. These sounded darker and more compressed.

I wouldn't mind maybe posting a different thread (or even use this one) and maybe all of us posting out favorite 1n34a GE diodes and the variants, and what we test them at? I have a TON of different options in that area of components. I am thinking complete with pictures and what we test? :) I am pretty sure I have the same Green band versions you mention here, and I believe mine measure "similar", but as Chuck mentioned, of course each tester will measure somewhat different.
Side note, my DMM isn't an expensive one, and I will eventually have a DCA75, but for now what I use works for me. I have one of those HT118 or whatever it is, a cheapy but a consistent one that has great features for my requirements ATM.

Also, with the DCA75 comment, and not owning a windows machine.. There are two options if it's a Mac.. You can run Paralells to use the software, or BootCamp, both will result in a Windows environment to work from. It's it's a Unix / Linux box, you can run other emulators and achieve the same result. :)

Back