Suggestion on "standard" PCB wiring connections

zgrav

How about adding an "optional" power-out wiring hole to new or revised versions of the PCBs to use for connecting to the soft bypass relay boards? (or add a power and ground set of connections if the existing ground to the PCB could not be tapped as a ground for the relay).

I would have already done this but it couldn't easily be "standardized"... there are quite a few layouts where it would be almost impossible to make it fit.

In the case of the relay bypass boards, it was somewhat intentional... Separate VCC/GND lines coming from the DC jack helps to keep microcontroller noise and transients from the relay coil away from the signal path.

A more universal solution would be an additional VCC/GND bus added to the Power I/O module.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have already done this but it couldn't easily be "standardized"... there are quite a few layouts where it would be almost impossible to make it fit.

In the case of the relay bypass boards, it was somewhat intentional... Separate VCC/GND lines coming from the DC jack helps to keep microcontroller noise and transients from the relay coil away from the signal path.

A more universal solution would be an additional VCC/GND bus added to the Power I/O module.

Good points, and more connections on the board where power and ground attach would seem to be a good compromise.

I didn't mean for this to sound like it was impossible. It's something I've wanted to do for a while now it's just a little more complicated than just dropping a couple pads and calling it a day.

Quite a few boards are getting overhauls this year, so I'll definitely keep this in mind and see if there's a good way to pull it off.

It probably wouldn't be a very popular decision, but if it were entirely up to me I would remove the LED and current limiting resistors from the effect PCBs altogether and delegate that task to the various bypass boards. This would put the LED in a standard location beside the footswitch on all layouts.... Then the SW and GND pads could be repurposed into VCC and GND pads.

It probably wouldn't be a very popular decision, but if it were entirely up to me I would remove the LED and current limiting resistors from the effect PCBs altogether and delegate that task to the various bypass boards.
I like this idea. Especially if Tayda pre-drilled enclosures were updated to reflect the new LED location.

I didn't mean for this to sound like it was impossible. It's something I've wanted to do for a while now it's just a little more complicated than just dropping a couple pads and calling it a day.

Quite a few boards are getting overhauls this year, so I'll definitely keep this in mind and see if there's a good way to pull it off.

It probably wouldn't be a very popular decision, but if it were entirely up to me I would remove the LED and current limiting resistors from the effect PCBs altogether and delegate that task to the various bypass boards. This would put the LED in a standard location beside the footswitch on all layouts.... Then the SW and GND pads could be repurposed into VCC and GND pads.
I'm probably in the "wouldn't be a very popular decision" crowd, as I don't often use bypass boards, but given the price of the new options it might be hard to resist!

I would 100% be on board with that! I have a stash of 3pdt boards with LED/CLR on board that I use for anything that’s not PedalPCB (and I’ve used them for PPCB builds when I run out of PPCB breakout boards, too), could replace them all with PedalPCB breakout boards

If you're taking a poll I would totally dig removing the CLR and LED from the PCB and putting them on a 3PDT breakout board. I had some from 1776 a while back that did this and it made things pretty convenient. Their board was much larger than yours though and I do appreciate how compact you tend to keep things.

I personally would not like that :( sorry to be part of the problem!

Back