Sunflower Cleanup Help

Travis

Hi, I´m start learning about fuzz pedals, I love the sound of some original fuzz faces I try, especially when I turn volume down.

I build the sunflower build and I´m trying with some transistors and different hfe values but I can´t get a good sparkle cleanup fuzz tone.

Some recommendation? Thanks :)

Hi, I´m start learning about fuzz pedals, I love the sound of some original fuzz faces I try, especially when I turn volume down.

I build the sunflower build and I´m trying with some transistors and different hfe values but I can´t get a good sparkle cleanup fuzz tone.

Some recommendation? Thanks :)

Have you tried the clean trimpot?

Part numbers don’t equal great fuzz tones. It’s all about how they are biased via the 33k or 8k2 resistors in the original.

Check this article out and test the bias points to see how well your transitiors are biased with your current build

Unless your after a certain sound like Eric Johnson you shouldn't need to tune it. They never did back in the day and as long as your transistors are withing the usable range you should be just fine with adjusting the Q2 collector trimmer.

I agree with you 100% if you have a big pool of transistors to pick from because you can swap until it sounds right.

If you just buy a few for a project you’ll likely have to tune the circuit to accommodate.

things of note:
sunflower does use a charge pump and those aren't the same as battery power which isn't the same as carbon battery power (sunbeam brand from the dollar store are magic) wrt to playing the fuzz face in a more dynamic manner ... I took the Pepsi challenge on this one and it is one of the few mojo/unobtanium items that holds up

ge fuzz faces with medium or low gain transistors can be a little dark but are generally more dynamic than higher gain

I had more but this post has been interrupted many, many times by work ...

things of note:
sunflower does use a charge pump and those aren't the same as battery power which isn't the same as carbon battery power (sunbeam brand from the dollar store are magic) wrt to playing the fuzz face in a more dynamic manner ... I took the Pepsi challenge on this one and it is one of the few mojo/unobtanium items that holds up

ge fuzz faces with medium or low gain transistors can be a little dark but are generally more dynamic than higher gain

I had more but this post has been interrupted many, many times by work ...
OK --- maybe not a MAGIC battery -- but more or less the same point.

Don't forget that Hendrix was using a magic 9-volt battery.....

Nah…you’re thinking of Bob Dylan’s Grandma. Hendrix powered his Fuzz Face with Gypsies, sun, and rainbows…an a little plutonium Roger Mayer stole from the Royal Navy…

I use two different transistors for my Sunflower: MP20A and GT402B. Following typical Fuzz Face requirements, the MP20A is within the 80 hFE range and the GT402B is within the 110-120 hFE range. Ends up sounding pretty damn good. So don't be afraid to use different transistors to get different results. :D

Back