Sunflower Fuzz (Analogman Surface Ge)

I’ve build all my Sandspur and Sunflower PCBs with the clean externally as well. Helps to dial in the fuzz face better for different guitars. Slightly different than rolling down the volume and allows you to leave guitar volume full.

For Ge I prefer lower gain with GT308 with 60-70 and 80-90 HFE pairs. I also like the IT115G I received with similar HFE. Both are in the Bonamassa fuzz territory.
I’m about to receive a set of GT402B soon with HFE 80-90 and 120-130 which I will build in an AION Solaris. The Epsilon and Solaris feature a transformer and a little more control with the bass/lows knob.

For Si I’m not a fan of BC108 or 109. I liked BC183C best and I build one with 2x 500 HFE and one with HFE values 250/500 (BC183B and C) with lower gated bias (like EJ fuzz).
Also try 2n3903/2n3904 or a hybrid with Si and Ge.

I’ve build all my Sandspur and Sunflower PCBs with the clean externally as well. Helps to dial in the fuzz face better for different guitars. Slightly different than rolling down the volume and allows you to leave guitar volume full.

For Ge I prefer lower gain with GT308 with 60-70 and 80-90 HFE pairs. I also like the IT115G I received with similar HFE. Both are in the Bonamassa fuzz territory.
I’m about to receive a set of GT402B soon with HFE 80-90 and 120-130 which I will build in an AION Solaris. The Epsilon and Solaris feature a transformer and a little more control with the bass/lows knob.

For Si I’m not a fan of BC108 or 109. I liked BC183C best and I build one with 2x 500 HFE and one with HFE values 250/500 (BC183B and C) with lower gated bias (like EJ fuzz).
Also try 2n3903/2n3904 or a hybrid with Si and Ge.
do you prefer the matched or offset BC183 option? I'm building one mainly to be used with strats that have more "vintage" vibe pickups... say, vintage 62 type flavor.

Im not a fuzz guy at all, as I feel they all sorta sound "the same" to my ears... The only fuzz I dig is an octavio/Roger Mayer style octave fuzz... in small doses...
I'm building the sunflower for a good friend who wanted me to build him a fuzz face type circuit, and I knew the Analogman clone would be an "upgrade" to his traditional mini Fuzz face...
I accepted his request without doing my due diligence in researching that it would be a rabbit hunt for transistors... Kinda like the Phase 90 I wanted to build, then discovered I needed 4 identical testing transistors that were obsolete and would cost as much in parts as just buying a used MXR... 😅

do you prefer the matched or offset BC183 option? I'm building one mainly to be used with strats that have more "vintage" vibe pickups... say, vintage 62 type flavor.
Try both and see what you prefer. Get BC183B and BC183C and experiment with the Q2 collector bias between 3 tot 4,5v.

Im not a fuzz guy at all, as I feel they all sorta sound "the same" to my ears... The only fuzz I dig is an octavio/Roger Mayer style octave fuzz... in small doses...
I'm building the sunflower for a good friend who wanted me to build him a fuzz face type circuit, and I knew the Analogman clone would be an "upgrade" to his traditional mini Fuzz face...
I accepted his request without doing my due diligence in researching that it would be a rabbit hunt for transistors... Kinda like the Phase 90 I wanted to build, then discovered I needed 4 identical testing transistors that were obsolete and would cost as much in parts as just buying a used MXR... 😅
I found that most transistors work in this circuit. It's very forgiving. Just bias it to where it sounds good to you and maybe play around with the input and output caps and the volume pot to adjust how bassy it is.

I found that most transistors work in this circuit. It's very forgiving. Just bias it to where it sounds good to you and maybe play around with the input and output caps and the volume pot to adjust how bassy it is.
I'd considered doing the "mod" like I did on my Rangemaster build... an ON ON ON with three separate value caps to adjust low end/brightness

I was just looking at the circuit thinking about the tone modification, and was surprised to see the clean blend trim pot straight off the input ... I'm going to assume that the "input cap" I would use to adjust bass would then be C2 (since it feeds off the center lug of the Fuzz control)? Or would it be more prudent to focus on C3, since that's the last cap before hitting the volume pot
You'll have to forgive me, as I'm still kind of a novice when it comes to comprehending circuits...

I was just looking at the circuit thinking about the tone modification, and was surprised to see the clean blend trim pot straight off the input ... I'm going to assume that the "input cap" I would use to adjust bass would then be C2 (since it feeds off the center lug of the Fuzz control)? Or would it be more prudent to focus on C3, since that's the last cap before hitting the volume pot
You'll have to forgive me, as I'm still kind of a novice when it comes to comprehending circuits...
Check the Solaris or Epsilon from Aion, it features the clean trim and low end.

The input cap is where I usually intervene. Drop the value for less wooliness. I just find it easier to tweak at the input. You can put a couple of caps on a toggle or use a blend knob.

You can also increase/decrease the other two caps for more/less bass but I find that less effective. You can add a pot to ground after the emitter cap as a Fuzz control like in the Mastotron instead of the conventional fuzz pot.

If you bias Q2 higher, it will be brighter. That's why a Tone Bender 1.5 is brighter than a Fuzz Face despite the larger caps - the leaky transistors bias at around -7V to -8V instead of -4.5V.

The clean blend trim is there to limit the amount of signal going in if you want to cap the total gain or if you switch to hot pickups and want to keep the same cleanup.

Back