DEMO SushiBoxFX Ambassador (Matchless HotBox)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I finished the build the day it showed up in the mail.
It's always exciting to build one of @vigilante398 's tube projects. And they just keep getting better and better.

Nathan knocked another one out of the park with the Ambassador. Based on a Matchless Hotbox.

It's essentially a 2 channel preamp/overdrive and true to the Hotbox spec's the "clean" channel is an "always on" type of thing. The footswitch controls the gain channel.

You can use it as a dirt box or use it as a full preamp into a power amp or into the return loop of an fx loop.

I tried it in the effects loop return on all my amps and it seems to do better with an amp that has a dedicated master level for the output tubes. My Marshall Origin 20H has that and the Ambassador sounds pretty awesome through the EL34 power section.

It also sounds pretty killer as a standalone dirt box.

One mod that I added was a true bypass toggle so I can take the circuit completely out of the signal chain. (Many thanks to @music6000 who drew me an "idiots guide diagram"....... :ROFLMAO: ). It works like a charm.

The clean channel has a single control for level and it adds some nice tube warmth and sparkle. It's got a ton of output too and can drive an amp all by itself pretty nicely.

The overdrive channel has dedicated level and gain controls as well as a two band EQ.

I used JJ12AX7's. This thing freaking RAWKS!! It's got as much gain as the Black Eye but it's got a lot more low end than the BE.

So when I got the board the other day, I painted the enclosure and started working on the board as the paint was drying. Nathan has got these DIY boards really nailed and the build went so fast that before I knew it I was ready to box it. I "should" have waited a couple more hours at least but I got too impatient and very gingerly boxed it, and in the process put a bunch of fingerprint in the finish of the enclosure.....bahhhhh.

After testing it for function and playing it for a bit, I took it back apart, sanded the enclosure back and repainted it.

This is another one of those "using up the partial cans of rattle can paints on the shelf". The base coat is gold. Then I misted it with brick red, added a little blue, then a bit more gold, a bit more red, and a bit more blue. Then topped it off with a clear gloss. Then I let it dry well this time:)

Turned out a pretty interesting color.

IMG_5165.JPG

IMG_5164.JPG

For the demo I used my red strat with the latest pickup configuration that I posted about here.

Thanks @vigilante398! Another great project!

Great demo Michael and sounds about spot on to mine. In restocking chips I accidently tossed a NE5532 in with my NE555 stash and inadvertently inserted it into my build on first fire up. Not good. Got it resolved and the board sounds great.

Great demo Michael and sounds about spot on to mine. In restocking chips I accidently tossed a NE5532 in with my NE555 stash and inadvertently inserted it into my build on first fire up. Not good. Got it resolved and the board sounds great.
Did it fry your mosfet?

Sounds Great, Sounds Huge!
Is it Hotter than the Black Eye?
The fun thing is, we can play with the Tubes to tame it if we want!
Not hotter than the BE, different kind of gain. The BE is much tighter and "chuggier" where the Ambassador has more low end and is looser. I should have tried a YATS into it to tighten it up. I'll try that tomorrow.

Last edited:
It's always exciting to build one of @vigilante398 's tube projects. And they just keep getting better and better.

Nathan knocked another one out of the park with the Ambassador. Based on a Matchless Hotbox.

It's essentially a 2 channel preamp/overdrive and true to the Hotbox spec's the "clean" channel is an "always on" type of thing. The footswitch controls the gain channel.

You can use it as a dirt box or use it as a full preamp into a power amp or into the return loop of an fx loop.

I tried it in the effects loop return on all my amps and it seems to do better with an amp that has a dedicated master level for the output tubes. My Marshall Origin 20H has that and the Ambassador sounds pretty awesome through the EL34 power section.

One mod that I added was a true bypass toggle so I can take the circuit completely out of the signal chain. (Many thanks to @music6000 who drew me an "idiots guide diagram"....... :ROFLMAO: ). It works like a charm.

The clean channel has a single control for level and it adds some nice tube warmth and sparkle. It's got a ton of output too and can drive an amp all by itself pretty nicely.

The overdrive channel has dedicated level and gain controls as well as a two band EQ.

I used JJ12AX7's. This thing freaking RAWKS!! It's got as much gain as the Black Eye but it's got a lot more low end than the BE.

So when I got the board the other day, I painted the enclosure and started working on the board as the paint was drying. Nathan has got these DIY boards really nailed and the build went so fast that before I knew it I was ready to box it. I "should" have waited a couple more hours at least but I got too impatient and very gingerly boxed it, and in the process put a bunch of fingerprint in the finish of the enclosure.....bahhhhh.

After testing it for function and playing it for a bit, I took it back apart, sanded the enclosure back and repainted it.

This is another one of those "using up the partial cans of rattle can paints on the shelf". The base coat is gold. Then I misted it with brick red, added a little blue, then a bit more gold, a bit more red, and a bit more blue. Then topped it off with a clear gloss. Then I let it dry well this time:)

View attachment 50651

View attachment 50652

For the demo I used my red strat with the latest pickup configuration that I posted about here.

Looks great, nicely done!

View attachment 50651

View attachment 50652

Your demo just sealed the deal on a sale for me. Thanks! :)

I generally use one of two amps. It's either my VHT D-Fifty (Dumble clone) or my Frenzel DP-525 (Kind of a weird amalgamation of a Fender 5E3 and a Marshall).

For demo's I only use clean tones and the VHT really is my fave. A tube upgrade did wonders. I'm using a Bugle Boy 12AX7 in V1 and the rest are Tung Sol re-issues and the 6L6's are Genelux Gold Lions. It does the "Dumble Clean to slightly pushed" really well. The overdrive channel is not my favorite Dumble sound though.

Re: Tube boosts, I think I've built every one of SushiBoxFx's boost pedals from his earlier generation to his current production ones.
I love them all but the Particle Accelerator is my all time fave. I think it's the extended EQ controls.

Having said that, my current set up I'm running 2x Clandestine Preamps in my chain. One at the end of my drives in front of the amp and the second one in the FX loop of the amp before my delays and reverb.

This gives me a lot of flexibility of where to add boost depending on the amp settings and I love the tone of the Clandestine. For me it's magic.
At the front of my drive chain I'm still using my tried and true Modus Operandi the most. Another "magic" pedal. Not sure what it's doing exactly but it just makes every overdrive sound better.

Anyone ever try the “deep dish compressor” from sushi before it was archived. A tube driven compressor sounds fun!

Lol I’m sure you have! I think we need to set you up Patreon account and pay a fee to get and old pedal chain going so others can try some of those archived projects. An Exhosaurus, Echosaurus Valve, Glass Butterfly….!!!! Man that’s some cool stuff there. I was surprised to see all those pedals in the archives.

So what extra does the extra tube in the Effectrode do? A pre and post tube buffer or a buffer and boost?

Lol I’m sure you have! I think we need to set you up Patreon account and pay a fee to get and old pedal chain going so others can try some of those archived projects. An Exhosaurus, Echosaurus Valve, Glass Butterfly….!!!! Man that’s some cool stuff there. I was surprised to see all those pedals in the archives.

So what extra does the extra tube in the Effectrode do? A pre and post tube buffer or a buffer and boost?
I mean Echosaurus is basically a Hydra, if you build a Hydra you aren't missing much over Echosaurus.

Echosaurus Valve and Glass Butterfly are basically the same platform, tube-driven FV-1. I've thought about making something like that for DIY, but it would be a hell of a DIY project and would likely need to be large. The ones I did were all SMD and they were a tight squeeze into a 1590BB.

Effectrode uses a lot of parallel stages in their pedals, and in the LA-1A they have 4 tube stages in parallel. In the interest of size and current draw I dropped it down to 2.

4 tube stages in parallel. Is that even necessary? I’m not really familiar with the LA2A topology but I’m fairly certain it isn’t a multi-band compressor which is the only thing I can think of that requires multiple parallel paths…blending. I’m still and always will be a newb though.

Unit plus 4 NOS Brimar 12AX7s for 975.00. Wow! They have some cool products but they’re way out of my budget. I’ll stick with the Diamond Compressor for now lol.

4 tube stages in parallel. Is that even necessary? I’m not really familiar with the LA2A topology but I’m fairly certain it isn’t a multi-band compressor which is the only thing I can think of that requires multiple parallel paths…blending. I’m still and always will be a newb though.

Unit plus 4 NOS Brimar 12AX7s for 975.00. Wow! They have some cool products but they’re way out of my budget. I’ll stick with the Diamond Compressor for now lol.
They aren't using parallel paths, just multiple triodes in parallel. This is common in studio designs for noise reduction and also produces a "fattening" of the sound due to how the parallel staging affects the impedances of the stage. I thought they had an article on their site about it, but I'm having trouble finding it from my phone.

Back