That4305 issues

Keith

Has anyone built the muzzle with the new that4305 adapter board? Ive built 2 and both have the same issue , only gate when the threshold is maxed out , the key isnt working and it cuts off notes.. I have built about 10 to 15 of the regular 4301s and smds without any issues and just cant figure out whats going on.. I will prob it next to see if all passes signal. Thanks in advance

Reactions: fig
I don't think I've seen a build report on this configuration yet.
If your probe yields no obvious answers, I can populate and test mine.
Also, decent pictures often lead to simple fixes. (y)

I swapped out a 4301 for the retrofit module just to see if there was a difference and it actually preformed slightly better( not a ton, just marginally) Did you try swapping chips or put it in one you know works?

When I had the switched tip going to the switched tip jack it would completely close the gate, I wired the switched tip to ground and it works as it should, . The only thing i did different was use a b20k as i didnt have any b25k so the sweep is slightly different but shouldnt be noticable.. I still think Im going to probe it

Just an update for anyone interested, I thought it was working after bridging the key however put in the enclosure and it was the same, the gate wouldnt close and the key does nothing.. I ordered a 4301 authentic chip for a ridiculous amount just to see if it still did it , popped it in and the pedal works as it should, the gate closes right away and the key works perfect.. I think both my retrofit modules of the 4305 have issues.

That's very unusual. I haven't heard of any other issues with the 4305 modules, two consecutive duds is even more puzzling.

Were these mounted with the component side facing up?

Yes sir. I socketed 1 and hard mounted the other , both reacted the same way. If the knob was maxed it would gate but was muted notes and the key wouldnt open. Ive built many of these circuits without issue so I built a second one to see and it was the same, swapped in a 4301 and it works fine. With the key plugged in I barely open the sweep for it to gate .

I have similar issue with retrofit module - gate can not close, but only dim signal by some level. I have copy of Decimator and I know how good is it, so I see that Muzzle can't cope, something is very wrong with it.

I'm not sure what's happening here, I've built two of these using the module and a few other folks have reported success as well.

If one of you wants to send the module back so I can check it out I'll give a refund (or replacement).

In my case, the return shipment will be very expensive (I live in Poland)... Is there any simple way to influence the depth of gain reduction in this circuit? Changing the value of a specific component or some other way?

Let me be more precise. The gate reduces the signal level satisfactorily deep only at the threshold setting in extreme regions, where we can only talk about a classic "tonesucker" (so we can forget about the intact articulation). However, when we set the threshold in the desired region (so the gate closes only when we are not playing, but soft or gentle excitation of the strings immediately opens the noise gate) then when we are not playing the gain reduction is very small, literally a few decibels. When we set the threshold a little higher, the soft playing is muffled by the gate but still quite audible, and a stronger strike of the strings opens the gate completely, so the action of Muzzle is more like an expander than a gate.
I checked twice, I have no soldering mistakes.

Is there any chance to send me a properly working THAT4301 module? As I mentioned earlier, sending back the one I have is rather pointless, because the shipping cost from Poland is almost equal to the value of this module. Considering the costs I have incurred so far, it is quite an expensive disappointment (over $ 100 for my entire order and shipment, an additional 23% tax was imposed in my country). I ordered a few PCBs, but I cared about this noise gate the most. My order number is # 73866. I would appreciate your support.

Its 4305 based and back to my original post about the issues im having with that module, I ordered a 4301 for 40 bucks to rule out the chip being the issue but the 4301 worked perfectly so its clear to me I have 2 bad modules

In my case, it looks similar. I checked my PCB work thoroughly, I did not make any mistakes, so only the said retrofit module remains the suspect of malfunctioning.

Has anyone built the muzzle with the new that4305 adapter board? Ive built 2 and both have the same issue , only gate when the threshold is maxed out , the key isnt working and it cuts off notes.. I have built about 10 to 15 of the regular 4301s and smds without any issues and just cant figure out whats going on.. I will prob it next to see if all passes signal. Thanks in advance
When did you order your module(s)? I'm wondering if there was a bad batch or something.

I'm having almost the exact same issue with mine. I've tried it with and without the key input, before the rack preamp I'm using it on, and after. If I set it high enough to kill the hum, it kills notes (especially pinch harmonics) prematurely, and also acts more like a volume control, like when I turn up the threshold pot, the volume goes down. If I set it low enough so it doesn't do that, it's not gating. If it's gated (as indicated by the bicolor LED) and I run my hand along the strings, I can still hear it at a much lower volume.

Using the key input performance is actually worse.

There's only been one batch, but this is too many reports to be coincidence.

I'm waiting to receive one of the defects back so I can try to determine what is happening. I've tested several here and can't find one with a problem so it's puzzling.

I think I checked all mine, but I'll circle back because I seem to recall some noise but I haven't boxed it yet so that didn't really register at the time.

Back