This Week on the Breadboard: The Tube Bender Deluxe

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
It's been a year since I posted the All FET Tube Bender. I was not really satisfied with the tone. The BASS control did not cut enough bass when it was dialed-down. The JFET differential stage sound was a bit sterile. So I started over with the basic Tube Bender circuit and made mods from there. Here's the result. More range on the BASS control. Better TREBLE control range. A smooth transition from clean to fat to distorted. More headroom. Lower output impedance.

I went back to the Sziklai pair for the 1st stage, and replaced Q1 with a JFET. I could have left Q1 as a BJT, but JFETs are quieter, they have a higher input impedance, it takes one less resistor to bias the gate, and most importantly, I like JFETs. I set the gain just below 20dB so it would always run clean. I needed the lower output impedance of the Sziklai pair to drive the bass cut circuit. The bass cut is inspired by the Friedman TIGHT control. Plenty of range now! For the differential stage, I needed the high input impedance of a JFET, but I wanted the transfer function of a BJT diff pair. A couple of MPSA13 Darlington transistors was the answer. I retuned the TREBLE control to remove the mid scoop. The response is flat at 1:00. I moved the LEVEL control ahead of the last stage to maximize headroom. The MOSFET booster at the end ensures that we can get at least 6Vp-p output if we want it.

Voltages marked on the schematic are for reference only.
Tube Bender v2.1.png

Knobs (L-R): LEVEL - TREBLE - BASS - DRIVE

Q1 & Q2 on the far right, Q3 & Q4 in the middle, Q5 upper left.
Tube Bender v2.1 breaadboard 02.jpg

The Sziklai pair with a Jfet as Q1 is the most interesting setup. Definitely going to be paying attention there when breadboarding.

With that MOSFET at the end looks like this pedal can drive another pedal really well!

One question i have is would we get even more tonal options if we use Germanium for Q3 and Q4?

EDIT: I just noticed for Q3 and Q4 you want to match the Voltage from Base to Emitter that might be pretty difficult with GE yeah?

I thought about going Ge with the diff pair. The problem with Ge is the bias would be unstable and we'd have to add an opamp to auto-balance the bias on Q3 & Q4. Doable, but it adds a lotta parts. I actually did that on one of my Variac mods. In the end, I don't think Si & Ge would sound all that different. The other issue is we need Q3 & Q4 to have a very high HFE, which is why I opted for MPSA13. If we went Ge, we'd have to make our own Darlingtons with two more transistors.

That MOSFET SHO-style output stage can definitely drive the Hell outta anything that follows it. Some pedals might not like it.

Last edited:
Ooooh noice! Is this ready for consumption schematic then, Sir! Genius explanation there, I will have to digest for a day or two... ;)

Let's say it's 95% ready for Prime Time. I'm experimenting with a Turbo switch that kicks the 1st stage gain up by over 20dB. The only extra parts are a toggle switch, a cap and a couple of resistors. I should have an answer by this time tomorrow. Yes, I know, it's already tomorrow in KiwiLand.

Here's V2.2. I added a TURBO switch that kicks the 1st stage gain up from 21dB to 38dB. It's like two different pedals. With TURBO off, it's a light overdrive. You can set DRIVE below 9:00 and it plays clean. Turning DRIVE up gradually adds some harmonics and it has a nice grind when DRIVE is dimed. The compression is pretty mild. With TURBO engaged, the 1st stage clips asymmetrically for a much richer harmonic content. Turning DRIVE up adds more distortion in the 2nd stage and increases the compression. Sounds great in either mode, with a Tele's single coil pickups, or an SG's Humbuckers. I added a treble bleed cap (C4) to keep it bright when DRIVE is set below noon. All of the controls have plenty of range. I'm calling it done.
Tube Bender Deluxe v2.2.png

Back