Titania2 No Volume

nondiatonic

I just assembled my very first pedal, and I have now experienced the "first pedal rite of passage": it didn't work.

Initially I thought there was no sound at all (LED worked), so I built an audio probe and began following the audio path. By doing this I realized that there was audio coming through the output, but the volume was so low I had to damn near max out the volume on my amp to hear anything. Transisters are 2N3903. I didn't measure them before assembly (I wanted to socket them, but I didn't buy the correct size sockets). I boxed it up, so I haven't checked the film capacitors with the audio probe because they are flush with the PCB--I'm hoping to avoid needing to desolder the power jack (next thing to build will be a test box, so I can avoid this scenario).

Some things I noted while probing the audio path (these phenomena may be normal, but I'll list them just in case):
  • Q3 emitter not as loud as I would have expected
  • Gain Pot:
    • Lug 2 appears to work as intended (gain increases as it's turned up), but it seems quiet throughout the entire range
    • Lug 3 gets very loud very fast as I turn the pot down
  • Tone Pot:
    • Lug 1 gets very loud very fast as I turn the pot down
    • Lug 2 seems to act like a volume and gets slightly louder as the pot is turned up (though fairly quiet throughout entire range)
  • Volume Pot:
    • Lug 2 is extremely quiet at full and turns down quickly to nothing
Any thoughts? Thanks! Titania2 Troubleshoot.jpg

Check for continuity between your IN G SW OUT pads, mostly to see if G is shorting any of the others...that’s all I can really think of at first glance. Well done for your first go! Always a good idea to get a toothbrush and some Isopropyl alcohol and clean off all the residue, sometimes there’s shorts lurking in there!

Thanks for the suggestion! You were exactly right! I have continuity between GND, SW, and OUT. Unfortunately, I don't know how to fix this issue. I couldn't find a bridge or wire strands making contact, so I desoldered the cables from the main board and the jack tip cables from the breakout board. I then soldered in a new 3pdt switch the old fashioned way without a breakout board. But, I still have the exact same continuity issue! Based on the audio probe, I feel like it has to be right at the end (between Volume lug 2 and the OUT of the main board). I'll see if I can find any isopropanol and clean those areas.

Got it figured out! Decided to try hooking the pedal up with the jacks hanging out of the enclosure, and I got sound. I think the sharp solder joint on the tip lug of the out jack was poking through the electrical tape insulation and making contact with the enclosure. I rotated the jacks 90 degrees and eureka! Thanks for the help 'doomus!

Dude! Where you been?

Hey Barry! Yeah I kinda went AWOL there. End of 2019 I was bonkers full throttle with work and just had no free time to do side hustles and me-stuff. Then 2020 happened, lost my job among other setbacks, so I squirmed back up into my shell and hibernated. Slowly emerging and I gotta say, it feels good, man.

Back