Toggle Switch Orientation/Functions/Labeling

Joben Magooch

Hi all, so maybe a silly question but something that's came up for me a few times...I'm curious how to know how to label toggle switches and/or how to know which direction is doing what.

I'll use the Chase Tone Secret Preamp / Clandestine as an example. On the retail version of the pedal, UP on the toggle switch is "Bright," in the middle is "Dark," and the DOWN position is "Mids". Is it safe to assume that the toggle on the Clandestine follows this same convention?

More generally speaking, is it okay to assume that most PPCB builds will mirror the same direction/orientation as their "retail" counterparts?

Some of it becomes pretty apparent just in listening (i.e. the "bright" mode above is pretty obvious), but other times it's not so distinct OR occasionally manufacturers will give their switch functions less-than-straightforward names.

Beyond that, I know fairly little about reading a schematic. Take the Clandestine again. It looks like position "3" connects C3 (22n) to ground, and position "1" connects C5 (10n), while position "2" would do neither, since it's off? I think I have that mostly straight...but then (again it probably sounds silly) how do I know which is "up" or down? I don't have the PCB on me at the moment, but would it just be a matter of looking at the PCB traces and (or using a meter) and seeing that C3 connects in "up" position and C5 in "down" position, or vice versa? Similarly (and now I reckon this is more or less getting into a full-on electronics lesson), what would I need to know to look at that and say "This one's connected to (XYZ), so that's going to let more bass through, so that must be the "Dark" position, or whatnot. Hopefully that made sense...

2 things. Here's an explanation on switches to start off with. This will help you identify what happens when the switch is up vs down.

Secondly, sometimes the switch mirrors the clone and sometimes it doesn't in terms of the direction the switch is in. Test the circuit out before boxing it up.

Last edited:
Back