Toggle switch question

radam84

I read a post on here that explained all the various toggle switchs and how they operate but Im still a bit lost. I think the word off in on-off-on is confusing me. If I was to get an on-off-on toggle with 6 legs, its possible to connect something to the middle position, say for clipping diodes or something, right? Or am I mistaken, would I need an on-on-on switch to have three different options?

I read a post on here that explained all the various toggle switchs and how they operate but Im still a bit lost. I think the word off in on-off-on is confusing me. If I was to get an on-off-on toggle with 6 legs, its possible to connect something to the middle position, say for clipping diodes or something, right? Or am I mistaken, would I need an on-on-on switch to have three different options?
Yes On-Off-On:
Switches are organised in “poles” or columns:
Look at a DPDT as two columns of three.
A B
1 1
2 2
3 3

Or more conventionally:
1 4
2 5
3 6

You can put a cap across 2 & 5
which will always be in circuit. ( say 10n)
Add another cap on 1 & 4 (100n)
Another cap on 3 & 6 (220n).

When the switch is OFF, wired in to 2 and out from 5, you have 10n.

Switch DOWN connects 1&2, 4&5 together. You’ve got the caps soldered on so 100n is parallel with 10n and parallel caps SUM so you get 110n.

Switch UP connects 2 & 3 and 5 & 6, putting the 10n in parallel with 220n for a total of 230n.

With clipping diodes you’d need the highest forward voltage in the “OFF” middle position such as LEDs, between 2&5;
with Ge across say 1&4;
Schottky/Si across 3 & 6.

If you put LEDs on 1&3 and Ge on 2&5, then the circuit will always “see” the Ge even when the SW is set to LEDs, that’s why figuring out the fV is important. For instance maybe you double up on your Silicon diodes (4, 2 in series each way) and maybe now the Silicon’s fV is more than the two LEDs…

I’ve posted some diode clip-switch diagrams on the forum. Have a search, or I can post them when I get home to my computer. (Currently on my phone, which is a pain to search/navigate on.)

On-On-On you can do other really cool stuff with them. More on this type later.

Last edited:
Yes On-Off-On:
Switches are organised in “poles” or columns:
Look at a DPDT as two columns of three.
A B
1 1
2 2
3 3

Or more conventionally:
1 4
2 5
3 6

You can put a cap across 2 & 5
which will always be in circuit. ( say 10n)
Add another cap on 1 & 4 (100n)
Another cap on 3 & 6 (220n).

When the switch is OFF, wired in to 2 and out from 5, you have 10n.

Switch DOWN connects 1&2, 4&5 together. You’ve got the caps soldered on so 100n is parallel with 10n and parallel caps SUM so you get 110n.

Switch UP connects 2 & 3 and 5 & 6, putting the 10n in parallel with 220n for a total of 230n.

With clipping diodes you’d need the highest forward voltage in the “OFF” middle position such as LEDs, between 2&5;
with Ge across say 1&4;
Schottky/Si across 3 & 6.

If you put LEDs on 1&3 and Ge on 2&5, then the circuit will always “see” the Ge even when the SW is set to LEDs, that’s why figuring out the fV is important. For instance maybe you double up on your Silicon diodes (4, 2 in series each way) and maybe now the Silicon’s fV is more than the two LEDs…

I’ve posted some diode clip-switch diagrams on the forum. Have a search, or I can post them when I get home to my computer. (Currently on my phone, which is a pain to search/navigate on.)

On-On-On you can do other really cool stuff with them. More on this type later.
Ok cool thank you, that does make things much more clear now, I dont know why that was so confusing for me lol, it totally makes sense. My main idea was to use it for a RAT and have say silicon in the up and LED in the down and then figured the middle section would just be nothing (Op-Amp) but for whatever reason the word off was screwin' with me, I took it as the literal sense that in the middle position there would just be nothing, but I guess as long as something is wired to those lugs (2 and 5) then it still passes thru. Aaaand just to make sure, I do have that correct right? lol

Yep you got it right.

The Rat has hard-clipping to ground. Wiring from the signal path to lug-2 of a DPDT ( IN of the switch) and connecting lug-5 to ground (switch's OUT), if you don't wire LEDs between 2&5 then the "OFF" position is truly off as there is nothing going to ground. Columns of switches aren't connected unless you connect them with a jumper/cap/resistor or other component.

More switchcraft in this thread

There are many ways to wire switches, for many different uses.

For my Rat, I put the stock diodes in the toggle-up position (3&6),
Fat Rat diodes in the toggle-down (1&2),
and socketed the middle (2&5) so I could choose between Turbo LEDs or pull the LEDs for no diode clipping and have just op-amp clipping.

Yep you got it right.

The Rat has hard-clipping to ground. Wiring from the signal path to lug-2 of a DPDT ( IN of the switch) and connecting lug-5 to ground (switch's OUT), if you don't wire LEDs between 2&5 then the "OFF" position is truly off as there is nothing going to ground. Columns of switches aren't connected unless you connect them with a jumper/cap/resistor or other component.

More switchcraft in this thread

There are many ways to wire switches, for many different uses.

For my Rat, I put the stock diodes in the toggle-up position (3&6),
Fat Rat diodes in the toggle-down (1&2),
and socketed the middle (2&5) so I could choose between Turbo LEDs or pull the LEDs for no diode clipping and have just op-amp clipping.
Ok right on, thanks eh

However, it’s more complicated than that! There are two configurations of on-on-on switches, that have link different pins when the toggle is in a given position—so you need to use the correct type.

Here’s a graphic lifted from a @Feral Feline post from a few years ago:

That shows the difference. I ran into a few head banging why isn’t this working? sessions until I found this out.

However, it’s more complicated than that! There are two configurations of on-on-on switches, that have link different pins when the toggle is in a given position—so you need to use the correct type.

Here’s a graphic lifted from a @Feral Feline post from a few years ago:

That shows the difference. I ran into a few head banging why isn’t this working? sessions until I found this out.
cool Ill check it out, thank you.

Back