Tone stack location in signal chain

Jbanks

Hi all,

Im building a double booster that is half SHO and half Amentum (EQD Arrows). I’d like to have a tone stack PCB for mid boost as well.

I realized that my previous wiring up the tone stack after the Dboard of the Arrows meant that the Mid pot was always “on” regardless of the 3PDT for each boost respectively.
So I wired up the output of the PCB for the arrows to now go to the input of the tone stack PCB, then back into the output jack of the dboard and then out to the output jack from the daughter board.

However, now that the tone stack is “inside” the arrows switch circuit and can be controlled, I have a large loss of volume headroom. Now the boost on the arrows is barely noticeable volume wise.

Is there a way I can wire the tone stack PCB to be in the 3pdt circuit of the arrows boost without cutting out so much volume headroom?

thanks
James

Attachments

• 1E8212EA-A164-47A5-BFBA-B0ED7758C3A0.jpeg
    1E8212EA-A164-47A5-BFBA-B0ED7758C3A0.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 5E78724D-BA50-404F-AE4A-2F29172A4808.jpeg
    5E78724D-BA50-404F-AE4A-2F29172A4808.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 8
The tone stack cuts volume. If you can put a gain recovery stage after it you can bring the volume back up.

You'll notice on the big muff that's how they do it, there's a lbp1 circuit before the output to recover the loss. Incidentally I requested a tone stack and recovery stage PCB about a year ago for this very reason.

As for the placement in the circuit. The arrows is a single gain stage circuit so you'll need to put another gain stage after the stack to recover the volume.

That's the lbp1 schematic. Super simple.

That’s weird that it doesn’t cut the volume when I place it after the dboard in the signal chain. Only when it’s inside the circuit of the arrows. But thanks for the LBP1 schematic. I figured I’d need some sort of buffer to fix.

Back