Took me long enough to see the light...

V=i*R (fundamental electronics formula, which here I=current.

We know how much voltage drops across the led (forward voltage, so the remainder of the voltage will drop through the resistor (when current is flowing, as Robert said).

So to find out the current, we do i=(Vin - Vled) / R

Let’s say a red led is 1.8 forward voltage, and you use a 1k
Current = (9-1.8)/1000= 0.0072 amps (7.2mA)

Last edited:
Had drinks with Gordo and Sushiboy tonight.

Nathan, being an ACTUAL electrical engineer AGAIN clarified to me that Just as Robert pointed out.

The CLR doesn't drop any voltage without current flow and with no LED installed there is no current flow so you'll always measure 9V on the pad regardless of whether a CLR is present or not.

The reason it doesn't work the way I was imagining it is because the LED is a PART of the circuit, not just a thing that consumes volts like a Pac Man...

I get it enough to change the subject.... back to the sonic differences in clipping diodes...!

V=i*R (fundamental electronics formula, which here I=current.

We know how much voltage drops across the led (forward voltage, so the remainder of the voltage will drop through the LED (when current is flowing, as Robert said).

So to find out the current, we do i=(Vin - Vled) / R

Let’s say a red led is 1.8 forward voltage, and you use a 1k
Current = (9-1.8)/1000= 0.0072 amps (7.2mA)

So the resistor is limiting the CURRENT, rather than the VOLTAGE..

Then they should call it a CURRENT LIMITING RESISTOR....!! Wait.... shit....

giphy.gif

Did no one notice that I set the Supply Voltage at 1000V?
I had questions, but you do some kind of out of the box stuff, so I was kinda excited.

I use whatever’s close at hand between 2.2k and 10k with water clear pink 5mm leds or these evil fucking super bright water clear green 5mm LEDs. I think I paid like 97 cents for a bag of 50 of these lil bastards - that how desperate the last owner was to get rid of ‘em.

I install my LEDs at a slight angle so the column of light zaps topward. like toward the top of the pedal. Where the jacks are.

Waterclear blue, green, and white are the most offensive to our eyes because of the way we receive blues. I use a 10k resistor minimum for those.

UV and some of my diffused LEDs get 470Ω because they’re so dim.

Everything else (red, yellow, orange) typically gets between 1k - 4.7k, like you said. They’re less obnoxious so I’m not as worried.
haha i use 22K for waterclears, heck they're so bright, love it.

I use the 4k7 for almost everything, and then if the LED is too bright, out comes the nail-polish...

💅
You wait until an LED is too bright for nail polish?? I thought black nail polish was mandatory for us rockers. Although I've been using rose red to match my blush a fair bit lately.

I used to use blue extra bright water clears for everything and gig in welding goggles. Now I use those LED rings around the stomp switch and use a 470R resistor with them.

Back