Transformer depth:

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Anyone here build anything requiring a transformer into a 1590B? Topographer? Chrome Dome? Anything else of that sort? Don’t have any of the 42TL0xx series transformers on hand right now, but I’m curious if they’re shallow enough to clear the lid of a 1590B. Thanks!

Do you have a 1590B build on hand to measure the clearance available from the board to lid? Xicon lists the height at .5" (12.7mm).

Considering the 1590B enclosure has an internal vertical space specified at 1.063", that any PCB mounted pots will push the PCB (with its thickness at ~2mm & ±2mm [~0.157"] for lead stubble on the solder side) up about 0.5" from the internal surface, and that the 42TL0xx series x-formers are 0.5" tall, the safe clearance would need to be at least 1.157". So, I'd not press it for a 1590B enclosure and instead go with a 125B.

Somewhere I have a madbean retrograde in a 1590b. I might be able to crack it open tonight but I believe Brian put the transformer on a daughter board for that exact reason

I think you could fit a Chrome Dome:

AdNBmZl.jpg

Mine was built without height constraints, so it's too tall- but look at all the empty space there is to tighten things up in there:

m1jo6fw.jpg

Looks like an easy fit with a little planning.

It would be cool to have the trans pop out the top side like a tube or a 76 Firebird with a V8.

View attachment 58742
Certainly the transformer won't stick out as far as most tubes, and the transformer is more robust than a tube.

Rails surrounding the transformer (or tube) as a safety precaution are mandatory protection from my big feet. 😸

Nick, You could always offboard wire the thingamajig or mount it to a scrap of perf/vero and wire that up IF there's enough room north or south of the board between jacks and footswitch respectively.

good thoughts here from everyone!
I’m thinking perhaps the best method would be to mount the transformer on the pot side of the enclosure, assuming the pots could be shimmed up enough with internal washers to give some clearance.
I’ll do some tests tomorrow to see how tightly I can theoretically fit everything without actually having stuff on hand.

The real best solution would be if Tayda offered 1590BS or 1590B2 enclosures so depth wouldn’t be a concern. I’ve given up on harassing Hugo about that idea though 😅

Another idea, if you had access to a 3d printer or something that can cut acrylic, would be to make a shim that would fit between the enclosure and lid that would give you more vertical space.

A quick search found this one (designed for LEDs but you get the idea)

Back