Treble bleed PCB

iamjackslackof

Mythos makes one, which I just bought, but I think the community here/Robert could come up with something as good or better. Maybe an SMD version with a pick and place option for somewhere like JLPCB.

I really like that I can install one, have a ton of options, and still be able to just turn it off fully. No more alligator clip dance, and easy to change your mind on the fly.

Mythos makes one, which I just bought, but I think the community here/Robert could come up with something as good or better. Maybe an SMD version with a pick and place option for somewhere like JLPCB.

I really like that I can install one, have a ton of options, and still be able to just turn it off fully. No more alligator clip dance, and easy to change your mind on the fly.
Isn’t it just a cap and resistor?

It is, but there are 2 real ways to do it, one is right (resistor and cap in series) and the other is a bad interpretation (resistor and cap in parallel). Only downside is that the resistor value, and to a lesser degree the cap value may vary guitar to guitar.
I will say if tuned in right, the series resistor cap will sound exactly the same no matter what the volume pot is set at.

Yes, but only once you've found the proper combination of series and parallel, cap value, and resistor value. And you're stuck with the final values if you just use a cap and resistor.

The linked PCB lets you switch between a bunch of cap and resistor values, as well as none, and changing values later is as easy as taking of the control cover. Also it's small.

I feel like we could come up with something comparable, or even better, like a series/parallel switch.

Once you find a combo that works you’re done. It’s easier than you think. I think it’s a market looking for non diy’ers. I live and die by my volume control, even during solos. I fade in and out of notes and I just get used to how the control reacts rather than hit a set response. It’s a bit of a dialog with the guitar and it changes slightly with the amp and pedal combo.

It is, but there are 2 real ways to do it, one is right (resistor and cap in series) and the other is a bad interpretation (resistor and cap in parallel)
I'm assuming that the Mythos version is parallel based on the use of a DIP switch. Otherwise, I don't know how they'd maintain continuity and the functionality they describe on their website. Something like this:
1711642301343.png 1711642459208.png 1711642778998.png

I'm assuming that the Mythos version is parallel based on the use of a DIP switch. Otherwise, I don't know how they'd maintain continuity and the functionality they describe on their website. Something like this:
View attachment 71749 View attachment 71750View attachment 71751
That’s parallel, and the biggest problems with running in parallel is that it messes up the taper of your pot, and it can cause it to thin out the tone as you roll off a bit more.
I’d personally use the dip switches for choosing a cap, but use a trim pot in series with the capacitor to dial in values.

View attachment 71749 View attachment 71750View attachment 71751
that looks exactly right and must be what they're doing!

So if series is the "correct" way of doing it, you'd need a 6-pos dip switch - three caps on one bank, in series with two resistors and a straight-thru on the following bank, and know that all three dips down on either bank means it's out of the circuit

So if series is the "correct" way of doing it, you'd need a 6-pos dip switch - three caps on one bank, in series with two resistors and a straight-thru on the following bank, and know that all three dips down on either bank means it's out of the circuit
Yes if they were doing series, a trim pot would make more sense than dip switches.

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 9.53.40 AM.png
honestly, this is small enough that making it thru-hole it'd probably still fit in most control cavities

View attachment 71752
honestly, this is small enough that making it thru-hole it'd probably still fit in most control cavities
And don’t be afraid to try other values, trending toward subtle- I believe in the one guitar I actually used one on, and kept in place, I was using a 120p (may have been smaller), and I think a 220k resistor in series. With the pickups I had, the pot taper wasn’t affected, and it didn’t lose any lows/mids at lower volume, only helped retain the super top end sparkle. But again, guitar and pickups make the difference

Another alternative would be to have dip switches for the cap values, save one position to turn on a parallel trim pot, then have a second trim pot in series (set as a variable resistor, so that all the way in one direction would short it out of the circuit, and the other max value). With thru hole or surface mount you can get it pretty small

And don’t be afraid to try other values, trending toward subtle- I believe in the one guitar I actually used one on, and kept in place, I was using a 120p (may have been smaller), and I think a 220k resistor in series. With the pickups I had, the pot taper wasn’t affected, and it didn’t lose any lows/mids at lower volume, only helped retain the super top end sparkle. But again, guitar and pickups make the difference

Another alternative would be to have dip switches for the cap values, save one position to turn on a parallel trim pot, then have a second trim pot in series (set as a variable resistor, so that all the way in one direction would short it out of the circuit, and the other max value). With thru hole or surface mount you can get it pretty small
oh for sure, was just tryna recreate what Mythos made but in series instead of parallel.

The trimpot idea sounds pretty cool though

(if anyone wants the diptrace or gerber files for that 1"x0.5" board lmk, obviously haven't verified but it looks right)

Back