Unicab (Dr Caligari)

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
unicab_innards.jpg

Not the kind of circuit that leaps off the shop page yelling 'Buy me!' at the top of its voice. However, I'd breadboarded the ROG one awhile back and was struck by the difference a cabsim makes to the final sound. With the specific combination of pedals that speaks to you, it can make a big difference in finessing the sound, as others have noted. In my case, I'm finding Tele into Argentum into General Tso into Unicab a step in the right direction for the Bassman quest I've been on for awhile.

unicab_outards_01.jpg

I repurposed an exisiting build (from a different supplier, which I didn't find particularly useful or inspiring) as part of my 2024 recycling resolution. Instead of ordering brand new parts and housings each time, I'm going to try to use up what's already at hand (breadboard parts, housings for pedals I don't much use, and so on).

unicab_outards_02.jpg

I didn't do a great job with the LED's alignment (impatience). Might or might not fix this in the mix later on.

Sound, you ask? An effective sound-shaper for putting the final gloss on the signal. The top and middle controls help to offset the heavy bass end as size and resonance are maxed out (to dial in the two by twelve or even one by eighteen coloration, whatever strikes your fancy).

The UniCab is one of my favorite pedals. It’s the only pedal I have that is always in my board and always on. If I built another I would do it without the stomp switch. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that it makes a crazy high pitched sound when powered up.

Nice looking build. Simple and clean.

The UniCab is one of my favorite pedals. It’s the only pedal I have that is always in my board and always on. If I built another I would do it without the stomp switch. The only thing I don’t like about mine is that it makes a crazy high pitched sound when powered up.

Nice looking build. Simple and clean.
Thanks. Yes, maybe a 3PDT toggle in its next life…

Thanks. Yes, maybe a 3PDT toggle in its next life…
I was thinking of leaving it blank and running it directly out but now you have me thinking what I could do with an empty stomp switch on that pedal. Maybe a mute for changing guitars or an A B select for the time based effects that are after it.

You could always just fly the stomp altogether if it’s always on, I suppose. But your other options are also good. In the long run, it’s down to whatever works for you, obviously, but I’m interested to see what you do.

Back