Utility pedals...

MichaelW

Nothing fancy to show off, I've been building a couple of utility pedals this week.

First up:

An active ABY box with buffered outputs. My new amp has 2 inputs to two different preamps. One channel is a Fender 5E3 style input and the other is a Marshall SLP style. You can combine the two as well. So here's this was my solution, I used a GGG Dual IC buffer board.

IMG_4681.JPG

Next up. I wanted to be able to switch between my desktop rig and my amp rig without having to swap a bunch of cables. So I built an active A/B box that sits at the end of my "front of amp" chain that lets me easily route whether the signal goes to the amp or directly into my Apollo. This one has buffered input as well as the outputs. I used the GGG single IC Buffer board.

I also used a crappy enclosure that I got got from LMS that I've been sitting on not wanting use because the powder coat is funky.
IMG_4701.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

And lastly, I have another amp coming (hopefully today) to check out. It's a "D" style amp with a passive effects loop. So I built a little opamp buffered loop to function as a "stand in" to a Dumblator. If I wind up keeping the amp I may look into a tube driven efx loop. Again used the GGG IC Buffer board, those things are handy. (and again another crappy enclosure from LMS.) This one is buffered in and out and also buffered in the loop.

IMG_4703.JPG

I ran out of TL071's so had to ginny up one of my SMD ones using the PedalPCB adapter boards.

IMG_4702.JPG

So about 20 years ago, I bought a 5E3 kit from Mission Amps. (Not sure if they're still around).

At the time there was zero documentation, I had to figure everything out via the schematic. I started at it for 6 months then paid someone to build it out for me...... :ROFLMAO: .

I would really like to take another crack at it but maybe something small and easy like the MOD amps.

If @Robert offered an active ABY PCB I'd order one. I doubt I'm the only one. Of course I'm probably smart enough to figure it out myself...
You can easily build one with a couple of the simple jfet buffers or if you wanted an opamp buffer, use the C-Buffer board. I already had these neat little IC's from GGG. They're pretty dandy, He makes both a single and a dual version. I used the Dual version for my ABY.

Not yet. I have yet to post a NAD.....still futzing with it....and lo and behold yet another new amp just showed up a few minutes ago heh.......
I bought a few small tube-amp heads the last few months to audition with different speakers and cabs, I currently have no more room...BUT...I have a few spaces left for guitars! ;) On the prowl for a either another LP or a jazzmaster if anyone comes across a steal.

You can easily build one with a couple of the simple jfet buffers or if you wanted an opamp buffer, use the C-Buffer board. I already had these neat little IC's from GGG. They're pretty dandy, He makes both a single and a dual version. I used the Dual version for my ABY.
I'll have a think about this and then I might grab a couple of the simple JFET buffers from PPCB and see if I can make it work. Thanks.

Wow! That looks cool! Are these designed to go in a rack unit? I wonder if it could be fit into like a multi loop enclosure?
Ordered. Thanks for sharing that! I built one other pcb amp and it was a lot of fun. It will have to wait awhile though. ;)
Which one did you order? These look really cool! Maybe a PCB is the way to dip my toes into amp building:)

Reactions: fig
Which one did you order? These look really cool! Maybe a PCB is the way to dip my toes into amp building:)
No, you deserve the turret board experience! i know the instructions that came with my Allen Encore kit were very well thought out. I think a number of companies that have plans available have certain models with detailed instruction sets. Or, with really popular circuits for some of the older Fender designs, I’m sure that there are many dedicated sites to building them, that wouldn’t turn into rabbit holes.

Yeah...probably....I was eyeing Will's enclosure. I'd like to put a LA-style preamp/compressor in there as well. If you do pull the trigger on one of those amp boards and don't have a stock of giant caps and resistors....I know a guy sitting on a ton of stuff :ROFLMAO:

Back