VFE Klein Bottle

Paradox916

Oh man where do I start…

The Klein Bottle came with a lot of hype, and initially, I bought into it. While I can see some potential for its use in live settings, it falls short when recording. Frankly, there’s nothing it can do that can’t be accomplished in a DAW and with a much lower noise floor, especially when working with multiple analog delays.

For those of us who play while sitting in front of a computer, the Klein Bottle feels like an overpriced time suck of a paperweight. I managed to create some ambient tones using three delays and a reverb, but they were uninspiring at best. In fact, the free Valhalla Supermassive plugin does a waaay better job. I was able to add some thickness to a high-gain tone by splitting the signal through the HPF/LPF and a bass preamp, but even then, the results couldn’t compare to what I achieved in Reaper.

IMG_1230.jpeg

Considering the cost of parts, the lack of support, the absence of an accurate drill template (which was a challenge to figure out), and the overall complexity of the build, I’d go so far as to say that the only meaningful difference between this and a $60 Mackie 4-channel mixer is the sends bus — and even that is "meh" at best.

If you don’t use a computer or a decent mixer for recording , this *might* be a good option for you, but even then, I’d hesitate to recommend it. The most fun I had with this the build process itself, dialing in the trim pots was straightforward enough. But beyond that, it’s all downhill. If I had bought the Klein Bottle at retail price, I’d be pissed.

IMG_1231.jpeg

There’s a reason it’s hard to find a solid demo of this pedal online: most are a pretty accurate representation of its limited capabilities. Anyone who claims to love it is either lying or justifying their investment of time and money into something that’s as useful as an arpeggiator. YMMV… but I doubt it.

The build looks great. I like the idea of doing some parallel mixing, but don’t know if this is the way I would go about it. It does seem like it could be fun for blending dirt/octaves together.

The build looks great. I like the idea of doing some parallel mixing, but don’t know if this is the way I would go about it. It does seem like it could be fun for blending dirt/octaves together.
This is definitely not where you want to start with parallel mixing. A Boss LS-2 A+B mode is a good starter.

Hmm, I not sure that's a fair assessment. You are correct that it is not great for your usage, but it is mainly intended to be a live floor mixer. I'd be interested in your thoughts on it usefulness in that context.

Your build looks fantastic.
I feel that’s as fair as an assessment as I can give it I really wanted to like it and put in some real effort into trying to like it… far as a live rig I test everything through an amp first(If I don’t like it in front of an amp at the bench I’m not going to like it in a recording situation) this never even made it to the recording desk. Every thing I tried was in that context. I feel I could achieve the same thing with other gear for a fraction of the price the one benefit I do see here is it has a couple of extra bells and whistles in a compact footprint which would be useful for a pedalboard sort of situation I guess depending on what exactly you want from it. Ambient tones? a strymon Big sky will do more and a better job for about the same price, parallel mixing there are a lot of other options out there for pennies on the dollar. Just my opinion..who knows you might like it you are the only person that can make that call.

Fair enough. It is definitely a special case type pedal that is not going to be for everyone. It think it's main selling point is that it has the high and low pass filters on the return of each channel so you can really focus the effects of each channel to a certain frequency range, kind of like the what the klon does (but on steroids). If you are not looking for that in particular, then it's major overkill for sure.

It looks good, did you do a drill template?
I did, off the available PCB vector (which There might have been some inconsistencies I felt). The caveat here I assembled the pcb for testing so I had to float the bit upwards someon the toggles. But I’m pretty sure it would be accurate if the pots and switches were mounted to the enclosure and then soldered

🙏, not worth the time and money man. There are cheaper easier and more effective options out there both diy and commercial

This is definitely not where you want to start with parallel mixing. A Boss LS-2 A+B mode is a good starter.
That’s a fair suggestion, but the LS-2 doesn’t quite fit my use case. Currently I’m using the PPCB 3ch mixer and splitters. It works fine, but I’d like better integration with my loop switcher. I was looking into the parallelizer, ‘cause I can send it midi PC messages from my switcher.

Now I’m thinking about putting a multi-channel splitter + mixer in an enclosure with an Oscillator Devices ‘Goblin’ so I can programmatically change which channels are active. Similar in functionality to the Parallelizer, but I don’t need stereo channels.

Oh no! It's an impressive build anyway, good job on it. What's up with the pcb? Is that a grid ground plane? Some googling looks like there is a stereo version of this pedal in the works, $50000 pledged.. I think I'm going about this pedal thing all wrong :LOL:

Just what I wanted to hear right as I'm gathering the last and least expensive bits to put mine together. 🤡

I don't have any other mixing pedals so thankfully it won't be a redundancy here. I am trying look at it realistically as something to have around but never truly need. At least you threw down a clean build and honest build report.
out-of-gas-deflated.gif

Oh no! It's an impressive build anyway, good job on it. What's up with the pcb? Is that a grid ground plane? Some googling looks like there is a stereo version of this pedal in the works, $50000 pledged.. I think I'm going about this pedal thing all wrong :LOL:
The grid is just the silkscreen I believe…. Any one that throws money at a stereo version KB gets what they deserve 🤣…. Not to say there isn’t someone out there that will like it.

Just what I wanted to hear right as I'm gathering the last and least expensive bits to put mine together. 🤡

I don't have any other mixing pedals so thankfully it won't be a redundancy here. I am trying look at it realistically as something to have around but never truly need. At least you threw down a clean build and honest build report.
View attachment 81480
Now I’m not saying it doesn’t work….. it does, and it will be useful to some degree it might be great for someone but I’m having a hard time coming up with a practical scenario and The power supply you use matters, this thing sounds like hot garbage with a daisy chain one spot but better with a real power supply with iso taps but doesn’t negate what I have written previously.

Back