What’s worthwhile from RadioShack?

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
I have like $70 in store credit at RadioShack somehow. Probably gonna get a Hotholder (cool little tool made by Austin Ribbon Mics), but not sure what to use the other ~$30 on. Anything else actually worthwhile from them anymore? Components would be a waste since everything there is 5-20x the price from mouser/tayda/etc.

Hit me with your best suggestions for RadioShack’s ‘hidden gems’!

I thought Radio Shack tanked years ago.

*googles Radio Shack*

welp, I guess they DO exist!

How about a breadboard? or 6, LOL
Would you look at that! They actually do have breadboards! Weird that they don’t come up at all under the ‘hobby & DIY’ ‘tools & materials’ section lol. Never too many breadboards!

I remember as a kid in the 80's my grandpa, who was an engineer for Bourns, would go to RS with me in tow and he would nerd out with the dude who worked there about electronics. I went there when I built my first pedal maybe 10 years ago and asked the dude behind the counter to help me find the right caps I needed and he was more clueless than I was.

I wasn't even aware they were around still since all I remember about their store last time I was in one was that their focus seemed to be selling cell phones and RC cars.

I remember as a kid in the 80's my grandpa, who was an engineer for Bourns, would go to RS with me in tow and he would nerd out with the dude who worked there about electronics. I went there when I built my first pedal maybe 10 years ago and asked the dude behind the counter to help me find the right caps I needed and he was more clueless than I was.

I wasn't even aware they were around still since all I remember about their store last time I was in one was that their focus seemed to be selling cell phones and RC cars.
Yeah, they disappeared around 2014 I think, and then they popped back up online shortly after, mainly just selling shirts and hats with the vintage logo. During the pandemic they started a big comeback campaign on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, etc

Well, I *did* get 8 400-point breadboards in addition to the hot holder, but after receiving the hot holder, the breadboards were cancelled by the vendor, so a sweatshirt with an old school logo it’ll be I guess 🤨

Back