What are your 5 Desert Island Pedals?

I like the fuzz on a rat with some mids taken out with the ruetz mod. It must be said that it’s a poor man’s version of a fuzz so I get your point.

1) Soldano GTO (or substitue a Sushi Box Black Eye)
2) A nice clean delay, I'm not super picky
3) A decent reverb, FV-1 something probably
4) Another Soldano GTO
5) Another Soldano GTO
giphy.gif

Not to derail this train but there are arguments whether a muff is a fuzz and if that’s up for debate Im not sure a rat can reasonably be a contestant…. Now that I smacked that hornets nest ….View attachment 45379
  1. The muff is derived from from the 2nd version Guild Foxey lady. The first version Foxey Lady was a fuzz rite.
  2. The Jumbo Tonebender took its circuit topology from the Big Muff. The Tonebender name is a legacy of fuzz pedals.
  3. The name itself is a crude joke about it being a fuzz.
  4. The most of the earier uses of the muff circuit in popular music are distinctly fuzz-like in character (Robert Fripp; Tony Peluso; David Gilmour; Ernie Isley)
  5. There are no real distinctions between boost, to overdrive, to distortion, to fuzz in the gain spectrum— there aren’t hard and fast categorizations.
It’s a fuzz imo

Now, is a rat a fuzz…
  1. No
  2. No, but in red
  3. Definitely not
It’s not a fuzz.

Last edited:
For real this time

1) Klon
2) Antithesis Fuzz (Karma Suture)
3) Particle Accelerator
4) Seabed Delay
5) Sproing Deluxe (kinda cheating)

Maybe not enough modulation or FREQ toys, but, yeah...

1. The muff is derived from from the 2nd version Guild Foxey lady. The first version Foxey Lady was a fuzz rite.
  2. The Jumbo Tonebender took its circuit topology from the Big Muff. The Tonebender name is a legacy of fuzz pedals.
  3. The name itself is a crude joke about it being a fuzz.
  4. The most of the earier uses of the muff circuit in popular music are distinctly fuzz-like in character (Robert Fripp; Tony Peluso; David Gilmour; Ernie Isley)
  5. There are no real distinctions between boost, to overdrive, to distortion, to fuzz in the gain spectrum— there aren’t hard and fast categorizations.
It’s a fuzz imo

Plus... Illumaniti CONFIRMED!

1680555324360.png

Can the Rat do a fuzz?

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The knobs for volume and distortion are labelled backward from when I switched the boards to the newest Muroidea revisions. White LED clippers, 33pf comp caps, 33pf feedback caps. 1n from input to ground replaced with 100pf. R1 and R2 increased to 2.2M. UA308 in the one on the right, LM108 in the one right.
Used a Squier Bass VI with stock jag pickups, tuned to A, bridge pickup soloed

My Deucetone is capable of the same tones, if marginally slightly darker

Personally, I think it can definitely bring the fuzz. Sure, it's a grinding apocalyptic fuzz, but I'll die on this hill
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This is actually pretty simple for me and I love hypotheticals that force me to choose.

Monk Vibe
Dunlop JHF1
Colorsound Powerboost w/ Master
My new Current Lover 2023 from GotA
El-Cap

With careful settings the Fuzz Face and PB could get me everything from light overdrive to BMP tones. Vibe and Mistress is enough swirl for anyone. El-Cap doubles as a Reverb and can easily cop Binson and Echoplex tones.

Can the Rat do a fuzz?

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The knobs for volume and distortion are labelled backward from when I switched the boards to the newest Muroidea revisions. White LED clippers, 33pf comp caps, 33pf feedback caps. 1n from input to ground replaced with 100pf. R1 and R2 increased to 2.2M. UA308 in the one on the right, LM108 in the one right.
Used a Squier Bass VI with stock jag pickups, tuned to A, bridge pickup soloed

My Deucetone is capable of the same tones, if marginally slightly darker

Personally, I think it can definitely bring the fuzz. Sure, it's a grinding apocalyptic fuzz, but I'll die on this hill
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Ok, RIP… you died on that hill…

Guitar/keyboard/drum machine :

1/ : Meridian compressor (I would also consider Walrus Deep Six, but I know Meridian would be my final choice)
1.9/ : Modded BD-2 as OD/Distortion, on perfboard if possible. * If it was only one effect allowed, it would be this one *.
2/ : Fuzz Factory from Zvex (a real original one please) and a simple noise gate if we need to cut the whistling noise on some settings.
2.1/ : Dandy Horse or Flintlock for modulation (* or one of these...)
2.2/ : EHX Oceans 11 reverb (this thing can't really get cloned, the chip inside is much more powerful than FV-1, and "it's a good chip", see replies #21, 22)
3/ : Echo-DC, it's a Memory Man early version, called Echo 600. Hydra is tempting, but we'd have many regrets, except for the drum machine.
4/: Boss GE-7 EQ, without any mod.
5/ : Boss RC-3 Loop Station (* or this one...)

Bass :

Meridian
Bass Amuser, bass tube overdrive (can also work on guitars. If the guitar player isn't satisfied, he can always mod it, right ?)
360 Bass Fuzz or big muff op-amp
CE-2b with intensity + vibrato mods, or Redshift Phaser (EHX Small Stone with every mods), or a Flintlock.
TS-50 preamp
EHX Oceans 11
RC-3 loop station
Pro-Cessor mixer blender splittter, so we can play a bit with the guitar effects, without bothering with difficult-to-design, time-consuming and sophisticated heavy mods.

I would add the Spectron enveloppe filter for all instruments, but you said only 5.... I guess I'd try to smuggle it under my jacket, next to a BBW, an OCD v.2 hidden in my pants, and a Tweed Man Overdrive under my hat.

Last edited:
1. TC Electronics Polytune 3 (with buffer)
2. Aion Cirrus (Ibanez ST9)
3. Art of 59 Sagittarius (one of the first Klon clone)
4. Aion Helios (Rat)
5. Engl Cabloader (cabsim as earphone amp)

General Tso
Mercurial
Chop Shop*
(mod insert)
Pendulum **
Seabed

(mod) is the biggest quandry for me, and I have been thinking about this along the same lines as OP, so it’s not just a thought experiment for me. I love chorus, and Ceasar meets my needs***. But, some of my favorite tones are close to clean, with a tiny amount of Flanger or Phaser added in. One of my schemes does involve having an in/out pair of jacks in that location, so an additional pedal could be added. I also plan on playing with the drop down opto-LED resistors on the Tso and Pendulum to get them running at 18v, partially for this mega pedal, and also for the ones on my board.

*Chop Shop is closely being challenged by the Pot and Kettle as a boost/overdrive. I can get the P&K to sound almost identical, (and it goes places the CS can’t) (but then, there’s the Sag knob on the CS…) certainly close enough for a band situation, but since 98% of my playing is solo, that subtle difference is hanging there. If I looked at a practical use, jamming with friends situation, P&K does make more sense to me. I still have several low gain /“clean” boosts to build (several?, ha! ) so who knows? But P&K is really special.

**Thinking it would be nice to put an order switch between these two—sometimes it’s nice to have a global delay, other times a global tremolo.

*** I’m just ordering the shorter height parts for a Byzantium though… (and am not selling my THC Homebrew chorus anytime soon).

Back