What "brand" of wire are you using? consolidated wire- pros/cons

I really like the solid core ptfe/Teflon jacket silver coated mil spec from apex jr.
He has some wire on eBay but it's cheaper if you order mail order. There's a form on his site (apexjr.com)
It's a bear to strip with anything other than this kind of strippers(properly setup)
Paladin Tools PA1161 Adjustable Wire Stripper Tool | Wire Cutter Electrical | 30-10 AWG (Pro Grade) https://a.co/d/3BKVx5g

And the insulation can slide around a little bit, especially on small cuts(this can be advantageous as times), but it's worth the bit of pita because it won't melt or shrink.
It's way more durable than. Any other solid core. I actually can't recall ever breaking it(I will tonight now) even making tight bends.

It's not good for 3pdt switches though. You really need 26-24 ha for that.

I've been using solid core on all electronic projects other than cables for a long time, but it can be a pain for cramped off board wiring. I currently have a bunch of remington industries 20awg(also available in 22awg) that I've been happy with, my only gripe is that it's pvc insulation, so a little too much heat and it starts to fall off. Holds up better than other pvc insulated wires I've tried though, I'm looking at you Tayda and Mouser. I was too cheap to pay up for the ptfe but I'm happy with the compromise considering the cost difference. I just ordered some pre-bond from amplified parts to try out, will report back.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Wire-S...rid_dv_rp_0_1_ec_ppx_yo2_mob_b_ts_rp_2_t&th=1

I've been using this for 3 years and it works just fine. 100% there is way better quality wire to use, but I like having multiple colors and the despenser box. I always wire everything the same, Ground-Black, 9v-Red, In-Green, Out-Blue, so I never have any wiring issues to troubleshoot. Obviously if you're futzing with it too much, the solid core wire will break. Stranded was always a pain in the ass for me to work with, a single strand can short out your circuit pretty easily.

@2204Stuff the stuff you posted looks interesting, maybe I'll throw that into my next order to try out.

I will add in, don't use the tayda solid core. It's way more brittle than the mil-spec stuff. I don't know if it's a higher tin content/quality of copper or a difference in extrusion process...
But it's trash. Breaks of you look at it wrong.
The Remington stuff is higher quality than most PVC jacket stuff I've used and comes at a good price(and free shipping iirc)if you buy multiple spools.

https://www.amazon.com/Gauge-Wire-S...rid_dv_rp_0_1_ec_ppx_yo2_mob_b_ts_rp_2_t&th=1

I've been using this for 3 years and it works just fine. 100% there is way better quality wire to use, but I like having multiple colors and the despenser box. I always wire everything the same, Ground-Black, 9v-Red, In-Green, Out-Blue, so I never have any wiring issues to troubleshoot. Obviously if you're futzing with it too much, the solid core wire will break. Stranded was always a pain in the ass for me to work with, a single strand can short out your circuit pretty easily.

@2204Stuff the stuff you posted looks interesting, maybe I'll throw that into my next order to try out.
That’s exactly what I use most of the time and I like it.

I just did some testing on it, it's pvc and it does that thing if it gets to much heat, it has thinner insulation and I like that.
*A big plus/it takes to solder well/fast, I would say the best I've used in 19yrs. of soldering.

jwin615

How does the wire take to solder? I'm leaning toward the ptfe/Teflon jacket ~ It's not good for 3pdt switches/what do you mean?

I've been using Alpha wire and I'm done with $45+ per 100ft.

Thanks to all, for your time and input!

Last edited:

Hah, I didn't expect to see the exact wire I've been using since the start. I see it all the time on electronic hobbyist sites here in the Netherlands, so I didn't really think much of it. I bought both the standed and solid core, each has its uses. Next to Plusivo, I also see Adafruit brand which seems of similar quality, type (22 AWG), and price.

Last edited:
I've used wire from this 10 color set from Remington Industries in all of my builds over the last two years, and it's been great.
16334_source_1637265960.jpg

How does the wire take to solder? I'm leaning toward the ptfe/Teflon jacket ~ It's not good for 3pdt switches/what do you mean?
1) it takes solder like a component leg. No issues
Edit add: the Alexjr stuff is silver coated(not tin). Silver like solder.
2)22ga ptfe doesn't feed through some 3pdt lugs(for direct to switch soldering)
The ones it does feed through, it's pretty tight. If you use footswitch PCBs, not an issue. Otherwise, get 24ga. The color choices from apexjr for 24ga are white only iirc. Several colors for 22ga.

My brain was out to lunch a bit, if it’s silver coated, I’m definitely getting that.
He’s currently out on vacation and will not return for a few days.
Thank you

My brain was out to lunch a bit, if it’s silver coated, I’m definitely getting that.
He’s currently out on vacation and will not return for a few days.
Thank you
If you are getting bulk, order through the website/print out form.
24ga also isn't sold on eBay(though some other random cool bits are).

Ha, I also use this exact same wire and have been since I started really. It's decent and Im sure there is better stuff out there, but it does the trick. My biggest gripe is the insulation being PVC (as others have mentioned) and its lack of heat resistance, however I usually don't run into issues.

To clarify, this is wire that I use for general pedal building, I have done some "special" vanity pedals for myself that used various other wire, but that's primarily for show and for letting people know what a cool guy I am :cool:

Feeling inadequate with my stash of cheapo no-name AliExpress solid core 😄 Have been using 20 AWG for the longest time but will be switching to 22 AWG since the thicker wire is kind of a pain in confined spaces. 24 AWG feels too flimsy to me. Either way, I've never had any solid core breaking on me unless I actually wanted it to - even then it's quite a bit of violent wiggling until it happens, same with cheap no-name resistor legs.

Back