What's your favorite PPCB Boost?

Ctrl4Smilerz

I've been running my Filmore 25 at the edge of breakup, and I'm looking for good boost pedal to push the amp. Ideally something that will play well with humbuckers and single coils, as well TS type pedals.

To answer the question: I don’t know yet.
So far…
Mercurial, which is an excellent sculpting tool. Can be very clean. Great with other drives and fuzzes.
Crackle Jack, small and powerful. Can fit in enclosures easily with other pcbs. Fun to stack. Even with another boost. Or another crackle jack. Fo sho’
Chickenhead. Not clean. Gets close to fuzz. Also small. You can move the bias trimpot to the outside of the enclosure.
Amentum. I’ve only used it a few times. Very clean. Small.
Both the Amentum and Cracklejack can lower the volume of the previous pedal, if you want. Which can be useful. If you crank a fuzz into the Amentum, with its volume down a bit, you can get some different fuzz tones.
Good luck. Boosts are simple. And fun.

The boost you like depends so much on the rest of your rig and what you expect from it. If you are looking for a simple rise in level to push the amp a bit harder then that Modus Operandi is excellent. It has a great EQ with just enough colour to make things sound "better".

A lot of people love the SHO. I find it noisy and way too bright, but it is easy to build!

My favourite is the Broadcast. It uses a lot of parts and is probably overkill for a boost but it sounds glorious into a slightly dirty tube amp or low-gain OD pedal. It can add a little dirt to help things along and you can reduce the low end to cut out some excess flab - it's very handy. Or you can keep a lot of low end if it help to beef up a Strat, for example. The distortion it produces can sound harsh into a pristine amp but into an already breaking up sound it's perfect for adding bite without mud.

Others which I can recommend would be the Tchula (leave the diodes out for a surprisingly good clean boost), Heavy Water and Special Cranker.

If you have a humbucker guitar, prefer Dragons Breath, the clone of the Range master. With the variable bass filter you can dial out some low muddiness.

Back